Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need potting advice for new camellia...

Posted by Rachel77 7 TX (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 31, 05 at 22:54

Okay, so I took the plunge and bought a 5 gallon nuccio's gem. "Gemmy" is about 5 ft tall or so. What do I do now? I've heard that camellias have shallow roots, so do I need a shallower pot than usual? What kind of potting mix do I use? What should I put in the bottom of the pot (ie, shards, etc.)? Do I water so that the soil stays slightly damp? When do I feed him???

Thanks!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need potting advice for new camellia...

Every area and every camellia gardener has ones own favorite potting mix. July is not the best time to change the pot or to modify your potting mix. Keep your present plant at a nice location under filtered sunlight. Well diluted fish emulsion and some chelated iron mix solution can be applied in September. Your camellia plant should be very happy in properly fed and properly moisted condition. Then go to locate an expeienced camellia gardener from your local Camellia Society. They should be very happy to give you the tips.

Some gardeners wash off all the old soil and add his own potting mix. Some only washed off 60 to70% of old mix pending the condition of old potting soil.. Usually It is being done in late dormant stage. Commonly very small fir bark is added to the mix to improve air space structure. Forest humus, good compose( not cattle waste nor redwood compose), aged ground peat, good commercial potting mix----etc all can be part of the mix.

If you intend to grow your camellia in the pot, new and better potting mix is must.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here