Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angelsmell_gw

Most Fragrant Camellia?

angelsmell
18 years ago

I bought a fragrant camellia last year and really enjoyed it, I can't remember the name but I know it's pink & white, What is the name of the most fragrant camellia, do they have differnt scents or are they all about the same... ?

Pictures of the fragrant one are appreciated.

Hi LongRiver!!!!!!

Are you hybrid fragrant cameliias coming out this year?

Comments (48)

• longriver
    18 years ago

If the flower is medium in size, full peony of light and pale pink in color. It must be High Fragrance.

I am in no hurry to name my fragrant camellia seedlings. I have five selected fragrant seedlings are still under evaluation. It takes four to five years.

• gurley157fs
    18 years ago

I did not realize that there were fragrant Camelias. Anyone that has some to sell please feel free to e-mail me at the address listed at my home page. I purchase only items shipped UPS - not postal service.
    Thanks.

• longriver
    18 years ago

You might set your mind slightly different about fragrant camellia. In the winter and early spring, air temperature may be chill. The fragrance can be hidden and just a touch in the air if you are close to it. It is by no means a gardenia.

When most flower plants at dormant stage, camellia flower is merging. If you move the flower to room temperature or on a sunny day, you will appreciate the scent and the beauty. Check camellia nurseries on the web, you should find the flower.

• njoynit
    18 years ago

I found one at walmart here for 50% off its apple blossom.I did not know was fragrant when bought.I just walked past it on deck and smelled it.It may have been warm that day.I was not even aware that camillias had any with fragrance.I just wanted one that bloomed mid season to go with my late season one.I did go back7 the others did not smell.

• GAAlan
    18 years ago

I am growing a species Camellia that, though not the most ornamental, is very fragrant. I actually ordered it from Nuccio's Nursery in California.

I placed an order of four Cams, in which I asked about the possibility of being able to overwinter C. lutchuensis(supposed to be one of the most, if not THE most, fragrant) outside here. They said most likely not hardy enough. They did offer the suggestion of C. yuhsienensis as one with great fragrance and more hardiness. Its turned out great! I am very pleased with it's fragrance. I would say however, if you could grow lutchuensis, that would be my first choice. Depending on your winters that might be possible.

I was trying to think once I read your screen name and city, where I had heard of Fullerton before. I remember now, it was on the Weather Channel. I love to keep track of daily weather, and every so often when they mention record setting temps in other cities I make a note in my book. I have a note in my book that says your city set a record for a high temp on November 15 with 90F. Funny huh!

Anyway, I offer this picture of my fragrant Camellia, taken January 10 this year....

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:511687}}

• nepeta46
    18 years ago

Camellia 'Cinnamon Cindy'

Nepeta

• alicia7b
    18 years ago

At the JC Raulston Arboretum in Raleigh, NC there is a single white camellia labelled simply C. sansanqua that is quite fragrant. I have noted C. sansanqua "Mine-Yo-Yuki" to be fragrant as well.

• alicia7b
    18 years ago

Oops I meant C. sasanqua.

• camelliatea
    18 years ago

I grow a number of fragrant camellias in Southeast Georgia. 'High Fragrance' is very intense in a large upright growing plant. In a bushy compact plant, I would recommend 'Sweet Emily Kate'. Synaptica Species is a wonderful fragrant camellia that makes an excellent landscape plant.

• albertine
    18 years ago

Hi - I'm looking at fragrant camellias too. Nursery Caroliniana has several lutchuensis hybrids including the above mentioned.
    My question is, how would you characterize the fragrance? Does Cinnamon Candy really smell of cinnamon? I have a couple sasanquas, and their fragrance is quite earthy - not something I need a whole lot more of, actually. Interesting but not intoxicating.
    Also, I bought a species camellia from Cistus that is about to bloom, C. transarisanensis. They say it is quite fragrant. It has tiny leaves and tiny white flowers.

• albertine
    18 years ago

Oops, I meant Camellia Forest.

• alicia7b
    18 years ago

I wish I could tell you about Cinammon Cindy -- there is, or was one at the JC Raulston Arboretum in Raleigh that I could never detect a scent from no matter the weather. Perhaps it was mislabelled.

Do you have the species sasanqua (single white, not a cultivar)? I think it has a sweet light scent that's very appealing.

• jimshy
    18 years ago

Albertine,

Nurcar has lutchuensis hybrids this spring? That's great news, I'm just finalizing my spring order!

I'm with the folks who say sasanqua is more earthy than pleasingly fragrant, but some of the lutchuensis hybrids I've sniffed are excellent -- High Fragrance and Spring Mist among them.

Jim

• huttnem
    18 years ago

I don't know if they are the MOST fragrant but Kramer's Supreme and Fragrant Pink are also fragrant...I think many fragrant varieties were bred from Kramers.

• greenguy1
    18 years ago

C. sasanqua 'Setsugekka' (single white, crepe textured petals with large burst of yellow stamens), which blooms for me right around Thanksgiving in Maryland, has great fragrance when I cut and bring inside - one bloom will fill the kitchen. But, as has been mentioned here, it's hard to detect the fragrance outside in the November chill.

- Steve

• okintos
    18 years ago

Camellia X hybride ÂSCENTUOUSÂ, has a very agreeable smell. I was a member of the Juror of the Exhibition XLII International of the Camellia in representation of the associates of the AEC (Spanish Association of the Camellia).
    To be a member of the Juror, he allowed me to compare calmly, the different smells of many flagrant Camellias, which were exposed in the Show.
    Camellia X hybride 'SCENTUOUSÂ, looked like to me the best.

Pardon for my evil English.
    Regards.

ÂSCENTUOUSÂ (Camellia japonica TIFFANYS X Camellia lutchuensis)
    {{gwi:511701}}

{{gwi:511702}}

{{gwi:511703}}

{{gwi:511705}}

{{gwi:511707}}

Here is a link that might be useful: XLII International Camellia Show 2006

• albertine
    18 years ago

Hi Jimshy -
    I was at Cistus Nursery yesterday and found some C. lutchuensis there too - they're saying it's hardy to 18-20 degrees. I'm going to try it against a protected wall.

• jimshy
    17 years ago

Albertine,

Ive heard it's the most fragrant species, and I'm curious how it'll grow for you, so keep us posted!

Jim

• hchristie
    17 years ago

Hi

is anyone growing fragrant camellias in CT, or zone 6? If so would love to hear which one,

heather hchristie@hotmail.com

• camelliatea
    17 years ago

There are several fragrant camellias - Fragrant Pink, Cinammon Cindy, High Fragrance but the one that seems to stand out the most in the field of fragrance is one called 'Sweet Emily Kate'. This is a beautiful plant with an interesting growth habit - it tends to be shorter growing and more spreading. VERY FRAGRANT!!!! It's a must have for any garden!

• longriver
    17 years ago

Hi ! I have not yet to visit this site for months. There are valid excuses. First,I went to China for a month, visiting many places including nine of their large camellia nurseries. Then a huge Oak tree fell down from steep hill damaging lots of my camellias in my backyard. I have done all urgent rescue mission and I am still working on rebuilding. Positive side of this event is to discover some of my missing camellias. And of course there is lots of firewood.
    I have a new fragrant seedling plant. It is a large, single with good petal substance, pink with deep vines. It has flared staments After the flower opens for over one day, the fragrance starts at obvious level and desirable quality. The name is called "NuErHong", a famous Chinese rice wine. I know that you do not read Chinese. If you can get on a Chinese web site:

http://www.mxchw.com

you will find the picture of my seedling by clicking the article dated on 2006-6-14 on the front page. The third flower picture is NuErHong.

• kittymoonbeam
    17 years ago

lutchensis is indeed very sweet. As it gets larger, of course there are more flowers so the fragrance seems stronger. When mine was a wee thing, I didnt think much of the smell. Now it looks like a ficus benjamina with tiny white flowers all over when it blooms and people wonder where that nice scent is coming from when they pass by.

• longriver
    17 years ago

The species, C.lutchensis is actual the parentage of High Fragrance, Scentous, Fragrant Pink, many others, and possible Sweet Emily Kate. Actually the species is very attractive with massive fragrant tiny flowers. The branches and very small leaves are also very graceful. Many of my friends visited my garden and saw this rather large plant of mine. They singled out that it was their most favorite camellia plant.

This is the only camellia flower, I noticed, that the branch will keep on developing in a vase from flower buds to form open flowers, like rose, in room temperature.

• longriver
    17 years ago

I finally learned how to post a picture. I would like to share a new fragrant camellia of mine which is still under evaluation. It may not be a "most" fragrant camellia but it is rather "large" in flower size. The petals have substance. The parentage is "not" from C lutchenensis. The fragrance will be developing to a rather strong level after flower opening for over 24 hour.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:511690}}

• albertine
    17 years ago

Hi Jimshy, I'm keeping you updated on the Lutchensis - so far so good. It's all budded up and has no apparent cold damage. It's been cold enough to toast the edges of the fronds of the tree fern and lightly burn some of the michelia foliage, but unfortunately I don't know how cold it has been exactly so far here in Portland. Maybe it's a little hardier than advertised? I'm keeping my fingers crossed - it's a beautiful willowy plant.

• forrestal
    17 years ago

What an interesting thread to read! I would second Camellia Girl's vote for 'Sweet Emily Kate' and 'High Fragrance,' and would also add 'Scentsation' and 'Kramer's Supreme.' All are fragrant, have show-quality blooms, and are nice looking plants in the garden all year. 'Scentuous' and 'Cinnamon Cindy' are also nice, with smaller cherry-blossom like blooms in profusion. But alas, my personal favorite is a classic old japonica named 'Herme' also known on the west coast as 'Jordan's Pride' or 'Hikarugenji' which is mildly fragrant and has wonderful pink and white blooms.

• caseyf
    17 years ago

I only have one fragrant camellia..it is called "Scentsation". It has large rose pink flowers and a strong fragrance..havent seen it mentioned..so thought I would add it to the list.
    Not sure where I purchased it. Possibly Tallahassee nursery. I am not far from Ft Valley and Massee Lane Gardens. Its a neat place to visit.
    Casey

• okintos
    17 years ago

I was a member of the Juror in the Exhibition XLIII International of the Camellia 2007. I formed a part of the Juror, together with the Mr. Shigeo Matsumoto, president of the Japan Camellia Society. Also he formed a part of the Juror, Mr. Mikio Akashi, the director of Akashi Camellia Nursery in Japan. There was surprising the aroma of the Camellia grijsii 'Zenzydra'. A very very agreeable smell. Magnificent.
    Regards.

Camellia grijsii
    {{gwi:511708}}

Juror in the Exhibition XLIII International of the Camellia.
    {{gwi:511425}}

Conference of the President of the Japanese Society of the Camellia, Shigeo Matsumoto, on the Camellias 'fig'.
    {{gwi:511710}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Exhibition XLIII International of the Camellia 2007

• jadisrose
    16 years ago

Hi, I just spotted this thread while searching for information about fragrant camelias to use as a hedge. I love the dark lustrous camelia foliage and I'm looking for a plant with dense upright growth that will grow as tall as 6 feet or more without getting very wide (staying less than 4 feet in diameter). I'm hoping that High Fragrance fits that description. Could someone who has grown it please let me know? If not, could someone please make a recommendation? I'm growing Pink Scentsation and it has a lovely carnation-like fragrance but it i's growth is very low and spreading in my garden. Thanks for any advice you can share.

• okintos
    16 years ago

Hello.
    FRAGANT PINK. It is a camellia with very agreeable smell. It has a good vertical growth. But it is not very dense.
    Regards.
    Daniel D.F. OKintos

{{gwi:511711}}

{{gwi:511712}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Camellia X hibride

• longriver
    16 years ago

This one is fragrant, a seedling of mine, 3&1/2 inches, rose pink in irregular peony form. For years I realy would not comment on the fragrance of my own seedling flower from my own backyard. I was in China last week( slightly warmer) to smell the fragrance with others. They liked it very much. They were saying the fragrance resembling of woman's face powder fragrance. My seedlings were sent to different areas for evaluation.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:511693}}

• okintos
    16 years ago

It is a beautiful flower.It is magnificent that you have obtained flowers of Camellia with fragrance. You have verified in the International Register of You Will Cultivate of Camellia if already it is registered?. You have to see the possibility of registering your camellias. Regards.
    Daniel D.F. OKintos

• brandyray
    16 years ago

Those were great pics of Fragrant Pink, D. Okintos. Thanks for sharing them.
    Alas, my one fragrant camellia decided to drop its buds instead of blooming. It is Scented Sun and I bought it from Camellia Forest last yr. Brandy

• okintos
    15 years ago

He did not remember like it was the flagrant Camellia, "Scented Sun". Localizé a photography in the Web LOVCAM.ORG. We must be very worried by the irrigation of the camellias. Specially, when we have our camellias, living in handles. I wish next year to have a good flowering. Good Luck. Regards.
    Daniel D.F. oKintos

{{gwi:511713}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Camellia's Exhibition 2008

• longriver
    15 years ago

'Scented Sun' was developed by Ken Hallstone who passed away in 1990. He was my very close friend in camellia hybridization. We live in a close distance.

Now Chinese Camellia Society is more open and we know other fragrant camellia species in China just in recent five years.

There are at leat 4 types of fragrance traits I am working with:

1. C. japonica including Higo Camellia.
    2. C saluenensis, from David Feathers' fragrant camellia 'Salab'. This fragranc requires 24 hours room temperature or highier temperature to activate fragrance. The profile of this fragrance is of high quality, resembling of perfume or face powder note. Most people never know.Two pictures of my fragrant flowers are in this group. One of which will be registered in China this year and being cultivated in a U. S. camellia nursery.
    3. C. lutchuensis fragrant trait: High Fragrance, Fragrant Joy, etc.
    4. Other newly known camellia species from China are C handelii, tunganica, etc.

• okintos
    15 years ago

You I work on the flagrant camellias it is very interesting. The fragant Camellias, they are a few big strangers. When I act as Juror in the International Exhibition of the Camellia, I value very much, the presence of fragant camellias in the deserving lot of the prize Golden Camellia. I wish luck you in your interest. It is very important for the world of the camellias.
    Regards.
    Daniel Dominguez oKintos.

• longriver
    15 years ago

This is the picture of Camellia tunganica, Possibly the most fragrant camellia(likely more fragrance than C. lutchuensis due to larger flower size) with most desirable fragrance( to me). This species was discovered in 1981 at Dongan County, Hunan Province, China. Most camellia gardeners in U S have never smell the fragrance. I am not sure that the fragrance is a dominant, recess or conditional gene. I will find it out in a couple years.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:511696}}

• snasxs
    15 years ago

Wow, the fragrant C. tunganica. I bet you have it in your farm!!!

• longriver
    15 years ago

Yes, Only a few nurseries and persons have this species in the U. S. I have already produce some seedlings about to flower. Many small seedlings are growing. And many seeds are still hanging on the branches to be delivered in late September. I intend to change the color to pink or red and to Change the flower larger and more petals. Most important task is to produce the idendical fragrance. I did all scientific approaches including praying.

• longriver
    15 years ago

This flower has been registered in China, called' Nuer Hong '. The name is after a famous rice wine. Because this flower needs fermentation time to produce the fragrance, just like rice wine. The size of the flower is about 4 to 5 inches in diameter that might be part of the reason to produce more and pronounced fragrance. The fragrant profile can be described as' nice face powder fragrance'. The flower color on the plant is slightly bluish that is due to indoor lighting. The flower color at right( with my watch for sizing) is about the real color.

It is also under propagation in U. S. by a large camellia nursery. It may take more than 3 years if it is OK for sale.

You might visit a list of new camellia pictures in China, ready for their registration:

http://www.mxchw.com/product.asp?bigclassname=·s«~Ãú®iÂ¥Ã

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:511699}}

• tomjudybirdwell_cox_net
    13 years ago

My most fragrant bloom is "High Fragrance". To me it smells almost like a rose. Pretty flower.

• camelliatea
    13 years ago

One of my favorite fragrant camellias is that of Camellia synaptica - beautiful simple white flower, but very fragrant - almost a citrus like scent to me!

Here is a link that might be useful: CamelliaWeb photo gallery image of C. synaptica

• longriver
    13 years ago

Most fragrant is good. Most desirable is also nice. When I released a fragrant camellia Called " West Lake Fragrant Lotus" through ICS in China. I have no idea about people's perception. So far many nurseries in Mainland China and a few in Taiwan are selling this fragrant flower. They told me that the fragrance is nice and desirable, smooth not sharp.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:510790}}

• angelhairr1_verizon_net
    13 years ago

How beautiful your camelias are Longriver. When will they be selling your flowers in the US?

• Bama_Joe
    8 years ago

In case people search and find this thread, my Sasanqua Cleopatra has a wonderfully fragrant smell. It is stronger than my moonflowers and nicely surprised me when I walked up my sidewalk yesterday.

• collierb
    8 years ago

This is obviously a little late in this discussion, but if you're still there, there are two other fragrant camellias I really love- the very sweetest strongly scented plant I know of is a lutchuensis hybrid from New Zealand called Quintessence. It's a white single with spreading growth- in fact, a true dwarf camellia. After 20 years+ it is still not more than 2' tall (c. 3' wide). It grows in a very protected garden in Portland OR with a sheet put over it when it snows. Would make a great container plant but don't let it get cold. I don't know where you'd buy it- a nurseryman friend brought it directly from NZ.

The other is a single white/pink sport of Cinnamon Cindy called Cinnamon Scentsation (don't confuse this with the japonica scentsation). A friend has a large plant of this here in Portland and on a warm spring day I could smell that sweet plant from 6' away! Lovely scent- it's another hybrid by Wm. Ackermann whose lutchuensisXjaponica cross he named Cinnamon Cindy. If you'd like this, Kathy at the Van Veen Nursery in Portland OR will make you rooted cuttings of it for a very reasonable fee.

• socalnolympia
    5 years ago

The two best ones for fragrance in standard cultivation are High Fragrance and Kramer's Supreme. Go with High Fragrance if you want a lighter sweeter smell, Kramer's Supreme is a bit deeper and pungent like incense, though the two are not that dissimilar.

Sponsored
More Discussions