Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aimeekitty

good camellias for my area?

aimeekitty
13 years ago

I have a few spots where I could potentially put a camellia. I've been looking at Jennifer Trehane's book... but it doesn't list a lot about sun/shade likes or eventual sizes and google searches can be a bit spotty.

I figured I would ask for some recommendations here.

My zone is 9-10, SW 18. Inland Southern California. Hot/dry summers and mild winters with alkaline clay soil. I'm sure this isn't the optimum situation for camellia, but are there some that do better in this climate that others?

Trehane's book mentioned that in general sasanquas are more tolerant of soil, water log (ie clay soil can sometimes waterlog) and alkaline soil, etc...

I'd prefer something that's pretty easy for a newbie not to kill,... and one that blooms a lot (ie over a longer period, or has a lot of flowers, etc.)

Some potential spots for a camellia would be:

SPOT A: I have a medium spot near a ornamental cherry tree in the back. I figure approx 6 feet tall would be ok without overpowering the spot. Right now it's full sun, however, as the cherry tree gets larger, it might hit some shade on the camellia.

SPOT B: a narrow bright shade spot on the side of my porch. Could get relatively tall here... 6-10 feet would be ok, but has to be narrow. (maybe around 4-5 width)

SPOT C: Right in front of my porch (which is flat) I thought a low hedge of camellia might be pretty. Possibly about 4 foot height tops. It would get several hours (possibly 4-5) of afternoon sun in the summer, but little to no sun in the winter.

I like camellias with blooms like Ballet Dancer, Elfin Rose, camellia minutiflora, Paradise Petite, Paradise Sayaka, Botanyuki, Marey Bracey, Kramer's Supreme, Gypsy Rose, Hawaii, Jerry Donnan, Lily Pons, Valentine Day, Debbie, Jury's Pearl, Ole, Snippet, Sweet Emily Kate, Sweet Jane

Thanks so much for any advice you can give me to point me in the right direction.

I figure once I know a little more I might try to visit Nuccio's.

Comments (4)

• solus
    13 years ago

Hello! IÂm in Zone 9 or Sunset 14 Nor-Cal with somewhat similar climate; maybe slightly cooler in summer. IÂve been here a little over one year but have already found that Japonica would not survive even one hour of direct afternoon sun here -- as can be testified by whatÂs left of my KramerÂs Supreme, NuccioÂs Pearl, and TaylorÂs Perfection lol! Granted the latter is not a Japonica, but I think itÂs the wind and aridness thatÂd contributed to their demise; their roots were kept moist too, but still. The other Japonicas  CarterÂs Sunburst, Purity, CM Wilson that are planted in bright shade seem to be doing well.

The Sasanquas, on the other hand, have been outstanding. IÂve a couple of Yuletide planted in full day afternoon sun and they donÂt even blink-no sign at all of any scorching! I feel so gratified; I do make sure theyÂre moist at all time tho. Same goes for Kanjiro, White Doves, and Shishigashira- all doing well with direct sun.

If youÂre worried about clay soil, mix the planting hole with plenty of compost to make sure no waterlog; this would also give them a much better chance to adapt easily. Over here we have heavy clay and I find preparing the planting hole well really helps. I also enjoy TrehaneÂs book; canÂt stop looking at those lovely photos. I'd love to visit NuccioÂs should I take a trip south. Let us know how it goes with your planting.

• aimeekitty
    Original Author
    13 years ago

THanks, I really appreciate the response! I have a small Kramer's Supreme whose leaves have been burning a bit on the edges, so I think if I have to move it into the shade, then.

I have a couple sasanquas in the back in full sun and they dont seem to be scorching. Will they do ok in shade/partial shade, too? It seems a bit hard to figure out one that will tolerate some sun/someshade... but I'm sure there must be some that are fine with either, right?

• solus
    13 years ago

Good idea moving the KramerÂs Supreme into shade. I moved mine too late and itÂs gone all naked now lol. I think itÂs dead, but IÂm leaving it in the ground and see whether it comes back. The NuccioÂs Pearl that I moved into shade earlier seemed to be coming back as I noticed a few budding leaves from the branches.

The Sasanquas do fine in either shade or part-shade, but I suspect they bloom more and better with a bit of sun. I think most flowering plants need sun; the Japonicas too, but they just canÂt tolerate the scorching sun in our part of the world. They should be fine with morning sun here I think. You know the SPOT B in your garden sound like a suitable spot for a Japonica since most of them are upright growers and narrower than the Sasanquas. SPOT A definitely a Sasanquas since itÂs now full sun. As for SPOT C you might wanna try a low and wide grower like a White Doves or Shishigashira. I prefer tall and narrow myself since I can plant them closer and plant more lol!

• aimeekitty
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, my worry about Spot C is that when it's winter, it gets only bright shade (no actual direct sun) so then... you're saying a low growing wide sasanqua would be ok in shade, then. That's cool! Sounds like it'll do pretty well wherever then.

gah... really need to move my Kramer.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions