Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brown Leaves

Posted by debber62 California (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 12, 08 at 10:41

What are some of the causes for brown leaves with Camelias? I have 3 plants in the shade, and for some reason the leaves are simply beautiful upon bloom then turn brown but not the entire leaf sometimes. I do not get it :(

What can I do to keep them green? What am I not doing to keep them green and beautiful?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brown Leaves

Moisture issues or too much sun can cause this problem. Make sure the plant is well mulched with 3-4" of any type of acidic mulch. Then water anytime that the soil feels almost dry or dry to a depth of 4".

I have a camellia whose leaves reacted quickly to loosing the tree that provided it with dappled sun. They started to brown out so I had to protect them until later this Fall when I can move them shrub with less stress. Damage was limited to leaves in contact with the sun. These partially browned leaves will not recover but will remain attached to the stem until it is time for new leaves in Spring. Camellias keep their leaves for about 1-2 years.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here