Comments (30)

• longriver
    15 years ago

Thanks for your sharing.
    A flower of C. reticulata, 'Pinecone', taken at Dali City

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:511947}}

• longriver
    15 years ago

I am very much of a low tech person. I have to share the picture one at a time.

Here is another one, a new cameliia seedling flower of mine.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:511948}}

• longriver
    15 years ago

Trying a new way to post.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:511949}}

• florence_2007
    15 years ago

What is the name of the very first bloom?
    Thank you

• longriver
    15 years ago

The upper left one has a common name called 'Jinhua Yupan' in China. Many nurseries carry this cultivar. But it is not yet registered. This flower was the second year's flower, still immature. The matured flower shows bigger flower, thicker petal with winkled surface and fine serration. The center has fresh green coloration.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:511950}}

• florence_2007
    15 years ago

Beautiful, John

• longriver
    15 years ago

Actually this new reti hybrid is very special, no formal name yet. The seedling plant was only about one foot tall to put out first two blooms last Feb. So far the seedling plant is about one foot and 4 inches tall. That is very early (barely 3 years) in producing first flower.

It is a formal double flower, therefore the flower form is considerably stable. I immediately made three grafts in order to prevent possible catastrophe. It is not likely to have flower this coming season.

The medium size flower( might be slightly larger on large plant later) has three pastel colors;
    flower center: light creamy
    Middle petal: milky white
    outer petal: obvious a pale pink edge

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:511951}}

• GAAlan
    15 years ago

WOW fantastic flowers all!! They all look like prize winners! I can't compare in photographic or plant quality, but here is a 'Taylors Perfection' from 3/20/08. The plant has done amazingly well plopped in heavy shade and no supplemental water or nutrients.

{{gwi:511970}}

• snasxs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The picture of long-river.

Long-river, if we don't click, we see a red X.

{{gwi:511951}}

• longriver
    15 years ago

Newly discoverd camellia species in China. No one outside of China has it. It is highly restricted even in their bontanical research center.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:511953}}

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    15 years ago

I'll bet Dr. Ackerman has it! He has been working on breeding hardy yellow camellias in his greenhouses.

• longriver
    15 years ago

I hope so but I doubt. There is only about two other yellow species from Guizhuo Province showing some cold hardiness. Their flower is by far smaller and less yellow. This one measured at 3 and 1/2 inches in diameter.

Actually any nice camellia flowers in peach or light color are welcome addition to camellia gardener. To have more cold hardier is also a bonus. A few new hybrids produced from Japan are very attractive.

• snasxs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Dave in Nova,

Does Dr. Ackerman really have it?

Long-river,

I have organized more of your pictures. BTW, are you trained to ride horses or bulls?

{{gwi:511953}}

{{gwi:511948}}

The red one below is a C. reticulata, cultivar 'Pinecone', taken at Dali City.
    {{gwi:511947}}

{{gwi:511950}}

• longriver
    15 years ago

snasxs: I usually give two advices to younger people,
    1. Do not grow old, if not easy. At least to be happy and less worry; that will keep you from getting old.
    2. Save a few more dollars. In down market, Cash is the king.

That was some time ago I was riding on American Quarter Horse. Now the situation can be different.

A sasanqua hybrid is blooming in my yard now.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:511954}}

15 years ago

Long River,

What is the species name of the yellow one?

Since Ackerman has been working on breeding a yellow, cold-hardy camellia, he probably has all the yellow species he can get a hold of. It wouldn't surprise me.

~Dave

• snasxs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Longriver,

I am a total ignorant of but fascinated by the breed-names of horses.

I have no clue what is an American Quarter Horse. I read a large number of horse-names from novels, movies etc.

Could you write a list of such names  and why they are called so? For example, what is a "Bronx" (spelling error?)

• longriver
    15 years ago

It is a horse breed developed in U. S. It has some bloodline of Arabian Thoroughbred but heavier. The strong house shows high racing speed for the first quarter mile. It is widely used for policework, Barrel Racing or tral riding etc.

Please do not get too serious on this subject. It is just my fun talk about my early day experiences also including spitting water melon seed, chew and growing beard before Pioneer Day. Remember this is not a cattleman's Forum.
    Also we should not use horse or cattle manure in soil to grow camellia. They has too high sodium content.

• Donna
    15 years ago

Thanks for the tip on the manure! I had no idea.
    I am in awe of these pictures.

• longriver
    15 years ago

Dave, It is called C.guanhtsoensis. None of any publication mentions this highly restricted species.

• User
    15 years ago

To see more beautiful camellia flowers there are several galleries you go to, but the best by far is Camelliaweb.org. View or post your own camellia images.

Here is a link that might be useful: Camelliaweb Photo Gallery

15 years ago

Longriver, You've no doubt read this article, but I include here for others interested. See link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Article on Breeding Yellow Camellias

• longriver
    15 years ago

Dave: I am engaged in multiple directions of camellia breeding. About 4 years ago I produced two flower buds on one of nine of my F2 C. nitidissima hybrid seedlings. I did not have chance to see the flower. Till last year I saw my yellow flower. I should see the flower four years ago, due to the poor timing of very cold weather and my trips to China.

The yellow flower is only so so in flower quality. From now on I should be getting more serious to work on the yellow project. My focus this year are fragrance and cold hardiness. One other flower is an interesting yellow centered, small formal flower of C. japonica, also developed about 5 years ago. Finally We figure out to use it as Bonsi plant in China.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:511955}}

• longriver
    15 years ago

This is an interesting, center-portion-yellow flower of C. japonica

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:511956}}

15 years ago

Interesting photos! Keep us posted on your progress. You should contact Dr. William Ackerman to discuss breeding issues (unless it's something that you want to keep secret! -- which I can understand).

~Dave

15 years ago

snasxs: Those are blooms are incredible. We should be so fortunate to grow them up here! Are you down in the Tidewater area of VA?

My wife and in-laws and I toured the Norfolk Botanical Gardens last March or April when all the japonicas were at peak. It was incredible.

• longriver
    15 years ago

Dave: Actually there is little secret. My method of camellia breeding was published on The American Camellia Journal( Dec 2007 to Feb 2008 issue) in a very tranparent description.

However I do encourge my friends enjoying camellia breeding to have independant thinking and personal innovation. Thus the efforts would enhance more new development in camellia horticulture.

15 years ago

Longriver, I have read Dr. Ackerman's book about breeding camellias and it sounds VERY complicated to me!!! When he started discussing the chromosome counts and how to change them with chemicals, etc., etc, my eyes glazed over. LOL!

• longriver
    15 years ago

Ho, Ho, Academically you can make camellia breeding as complex as you want. When things getting complicated, simple approach is the key. Remember most of beautiful camellias have been developed by common camellia gardeners.

15 years ago

Yes, but to breed two species that are not chromosomally-compatible, one must change 'ploidy' of plant somehow to increase chances of interbreeding. I do not understand it all!

• longriver
    15 years ago

We would be better to read many articles about the research on this subject by Dr. Parks or Dr Ackerman.

I do not know much about camellia genetics because I background is a combination of Dairy science and Vet. M Science. I did carry out a large portion of cross pollination for many years between two camellia species and have produced many interesting seedlings. I am not intend to confirm the seedlings in what kind of genetical make-up. If the seedling carries a desired trait or appearance, that is good enough for me. Camellia breeding has been a consuming task. But I found some principles and shortcut to make the job easier. It becomes my fun hobby without too much of labor and mind twisting. Reading and understanding are very important. Without actual doing, we would be unable to gain our own first-hand experience and personal thinking.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH
More Discussions