Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help with transplanting camellias.

Posted by mock8james (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 27, 09 at 15:19

I have recently bought a home and need to update the yard. The man i bought it form was in love with camellias. I have over 50 different plantes in the yard he said. I love the privacy they give me but i want them moved to the edge of the yard instead of the middle like they are now. I live in hot south georgia. What do i need to do . Its not gona kill me if they dont survive but i want to give it a try. My plan is about oct or nov dig up what i can handle by cutting the roots and replant. What do yall think

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help with transplanting camellias.

I think I would wait until after they bloom.

o

amberroses is referring to the fact that camellias are starting to develop flower buds now and you may miss the bloomage if you transplant now. Plants that are moved will usually suffer from transplant shock and existing flower buds may be aborted during these stressful times. Depending on the type and variety, camellias can start in Sept-Oct & bloom well into March of next 2010 (or a little after that). The previous owner might be able to give you more accurate blooming times.

Your success rate may be better if you do this while the plants are dormant, i.e., when Fall-Winter arrive and not while Summer is going strong. Choose a location that protects them from the hot afternoon summer sun. For example, select a spot that gets shaded at the same time as the current one does or gets shade starting around 11am-12pm. The sasanqua leaves will handle more sun than japonicas leaves do so keep that in mind too. The new location should be mulched with 3-4 of mulch and should have a sprinkler/drip system that can provide as much moisture as the existing location.

Here is a link that might be useful: Camellia Information by the A. C. S.

o

If you are still in touch with the previous owner, it would be extremely thoughtful if you contacted him and asked if he would like to come (in the late fall or winter) and take a few. Since you don't seem to particularly care, I mean.

He might even give you some tips about transplanting so that you have some chance of success.

o

Or see if members of a local camellia chapter would be interested (you do not indicate where you live so I cannot recommend any ACS Chapter but you can look in their website.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here