Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nolefan_2006

Where can I find a large Nuccio's Bella Rossa

nolefan_2006
11 years ago

Hello Everyone,

I'm looking for a large Nuccio's Bella Rossa. My local nursery carries beautiful 15 gallon Monrovia camellias (all Nuccio's Gem and Pearl). But, I asked them if they could special order a large Nuccio's gem and they came back and told me that they couldn't.

I'm not sure if that's because they don't want to fool with a small order of one plant, if Monrovia doesn't have a Nuccio's Bella Rossa of this size, or if they just aren't available, yet, this time of year.

I can find smaller sizes of Bella Rossa, but since my 5 gallon gems and pearls have only grown about 6 inches in 2 years, I'd prefer to buy a much larger Bella Rossa.

Does anyone know where I can buy a large Bella Rossa (preferably from Monrovia)? I am willing to drive up to 3 hours or so away from Jacksonville, FL. Thanks in advance!

Comments (18)

• luis_pr
    11 years ago

large gallon shrubs are not common because of the high price for one thing but I am not sure if it is impossible. The local nursery would have had to call Monrovia to determine if they had a large one in stock. That type of inquiry would have taken a while so if the local nursery said "no dice" quickly, I am not sure if they really called Monrovia. You can of course, call Nuccios directly: (626) 794-3383 or email Monrovia

Luis

• nolefan_2006
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi luis pr,
    Thanks for the rec. Well, I don't really know about whether they called or not. I called them (they know me well. I order/buy a lot from them) and asked if they had one on site (I already knew they didn't) and I asked them to order one if possible from Monrovia. When I checked back two days later, the answer I got was we can't get any (any size). I found that questionable, but it is what it is. In the past I have requested certain other special plants and every time the answer has been, we checked and we can't get. I don't really believe that for three reasons- 1. That's always their answer. Always. 2. They order thousands of plants from Monrovia several times a year. You'd think that they could add in a few plants that I request. Odd that they can get tons of different camellias, just not the one I want. 3. I asked them to order a special plant a few months ago and the answer was "can't get it. We checked. Then, someone there heard me talking about another nursery that ordered a plant for me, but it never came in (because I later learned they never actually ordered the plant for me). Next thing I know, the next time I visited the nursery they told me that they heard how much I wanted these plants and they decided to order them for me.

Now, I'm not complaining, because they looked out for me and placed my order (successfully by the way). However, I was given a firm, "we can't get it. They're not available. Monrovia doesn't have any and we can't get them anywhere else" to "we're happy to order these for you" in less than 3 days. A little suspicious. I'm sure they don't want to play around with nickel and dime orders for 1 to 6 plants. I get that. They're running a business. It is what it is.

Just hoping that I can find Bella Rossa somewhere.

The nice thing about this nursery is that they have hundreds of very large mature 15 gallon camellias. They're beautiful and in great shape. Yes, they're expensive, but since my Nuccio's Gems and Pearls have only grown about 6 inches in two years it's well worth the price to me to buy a mature camellia. I understand camellias are slow growing and therefore expensive to buy and stock at a nursery. They command a premium. I'm willing to pay that premium for a good specimen. Hoping I find one somewhere...

I called Nuccio's today, but the man who answered asked me to call back in the morning, as every one had already gone home. I will. I've heard wonderful things about them. As for emailing Monrovia. I have done so in the past regarding 4 different plants. They haven't ever emailed me back. Probably too busy.

Thanks again!

• limi38
    6 years ago

Did you ever find that Nuccio's Bella Rossa?

I'm currently looking. :)

In my search for this Camellia I learned it has a 20 year patent that was created in 2002. https://www.google.com/patents/USPP13023

• luis_pr
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Now should be an excellent time to find Bella Rossa (you have just seconds though). ;o)

You can start with local plant nurseries (call them). Then go to the Monrovia website (or any other wholesaler) and find local outfits that sell Monrovia/etc products.

The active patent means only selected authorized wholesalers have them and can propagate them and sell them. But once the wholesaler's stock runs out (and it does run out), you are out of luck. Note that some wholesalers will sell to the public via their website; not sure how their prices compare though.

Camellia, hydrangea, azalea, etc wholesaler stocks are usually fine at certain times of the year and then dwindle down or run out. Camellia stocks should be getting high around August so local nurseries will get shipments by Sept and start to sell camellias.

Another example: now is a bad time to buy hydrangeas as stocks will be low and will not be replenished until the end of Winter (so plants can go out to retailers in time). In my area, we get hydrangeas starting in early April; other places north will get them later and so forth.

Something else to think about... wholesalers also do not send any orders if they think it will be too warm on the delivery route. In the summer, I cannot get special orders of roses but there are exceptions... in the hot 100-degree summers, I c-a-n get regular mail orders from Tyler, Texas to the Dallas / Fort Worth area because they use air freight where the planes belly is "air conditioned".

I have tried to special order thru a local nursery and the service was downright pitiful. They took my info and never called me back. When I inquired (when camellias showed up at their stores), no one knew a thing. I know they have minimum levels at which they will orders these plants but man, if I am below the threshold, "just let me know" and I will order more stuff.

Again, right now, stocks may be somewhat ok (myspeak for low) for camellias; stock levels probably have already peaked in local retailers and are going down fast. Just get on the phone and call around to see if anyone has BR. I have sometimes emailed wholesalers asking who has ordered a such and such plant in my area. Sometimes, I get no replies; other times, I did get replies. If no locals carry or have BR then try mail order/Internet.

• limi38
    6 years ago

I wrote Monrovia, they told me they don't sell this plant online to general public.

I've contacted every nursery local to me, and I contacted every monrovia nursery in a 100 mile radius of Dallas, Tx (Dallas is a 4 hour drive from me). One nursery (in Tyler, TX) told me they have a Monrovia rep coming next week and that they would ask.

I also wrote Wayside Garden (online plant seller that specializes in rare plants, most of them patented), but they haven't replied yet.

On friday I'll try calling Nuccio's.

After that I'll drop this obsession, this can't be healthy. :D

BUT, you got me interested in finding a wholesaler farmer and asking who they distribute to.

• luis_pr
    6 years ago

"After that I'll drop this obsession, this can't be healthy. :D"

Hee hee hee!

• limi38
    6 years ago

I called Nuccio's Nursery today. They were so nice to me, a retail customer looking to buy only 1 plant, I can't believe it! It was a wonderful experience, and I'll think of them every time I admire the Nuccio's Bella Rossa growing on my property!!! I'm so excited!!!!!!!

• luis_pr
    6 years ago

Congrats, when is the new plant due to arrive? You do not display your location so check for inclement weather when due to arrive; and also thru its travel route.

Here in Tx, really cold temps can cause bud drop (luckily that has been rare but, it has happened to me). More common... the plant stops blooming and restarts whenever it pleases. This is common in January for me... temps stay mild now and then tank around January before going back up. Mulch well and give them some water the night before a drop below freezing to see if it will prevent bud drop which is worse. I once had a few buds that opened in late December... then the plant when into hibernation due to cold in Jan and it resumed blooming in March due to a few more cold snaps between Jan and March.

• limi38
    6 years ago

Nuccio's Bella Rossa arrived today and I finished putting it in the ground right before sunset. The flowerbed is on the north side of my home and the fence blocks the western sun.

I tried to add my growing zone and location to username but I ran into some trouble. I'm rural north/west Louisiana, z8b.

I added camellia/azalea/dogwood acid lover's planting mix with my soil. Also added some extra peat moss, earthworm castings, and just a bit of cottonseed meal. Then mulched it. She has a real nice home. However, later I remembered I forgot to tamp down the soil under the root ball real good, I'm probably going to get more settling than I'd prefer, but I did build the the bed up .

What variety of Camellias do you have, luis?

And if the buds do drop, does that mean the Camellia may focus on root development more? If so, that would be fine with me if it drops its bud for the first year or two.

Thanks for conversing with me!

• luis_pr
    6 years ago

Congrats on the new shrub and the quick delivery! I have some Professor Sargents, Taylor's Perfection, Yuletide, White by the Gate and Winter's Charm. But now I am thinking something is missing so I may need to refill my coffee cup with decaf and see if I fall asleep and dream of what needs to be tweaked on that list! Had Kanjiro but the pooches killed it.

I need a bit of a pick me up after the dogs were giving their legs a lick/bath at 3am in the morning. Sigh. Coffee, coffee, coffee.. This fake scenario would really help right now: pretend you hear the sound of dialing on a phone... Hello? Starbuck's home delivery service for coffeeaholics. What can we teleport immediately to your home? Same thing as earlier this morning?" Hee hee hee.

I too would not worry if I get bud drop or just no blooms on the first season of a new plant. They should then use the time to go semi-dormant or for root growth. I do not worry either with roses and hydrangeas although the advantage of getting/seeing the open blooms is that I can confirm that the bush is really what I wanted to buy. With no open blooms, one camellia is identical to any other. I have had some mislabeled roses and hydrangeas from local sources and am now a tiny bit reluctant to buy these two plants locally before I see them blooming.

I typically do not add much to the soil when planting them. If they come with those round fertilizer pellets then that will last until Spring for sure. This time of the year, they go semi dormant while blooming so when I fertilize, I use a zero or low nitrogen fertilizer. Most times, I only fertilize in Spring only. Then I let the mulch degrade and provide food as it decomposes thru the rest of the year. I tried to follow the ACS Fert. Recommendations below but these shrubs grow so slowly that I reverted to a minimalist approach as I could not see much difference. I do add wormcastings and water with liquid seaweed when planting new shrubs. Plan on fertilizing in Spring about 2 weeks after your average date of last frost.

https://www.americancamellias.com/care-culture-resources/general-culture-requirements/camellia-fertilization

Post bloom pics when you get some!

• limi38
    6 years ago

I looked up each of your Camellias, and I think I know what you are missing! A red/deep pink formal double bloomer!!!

It has rained lightly for 3 days straight, today was dry and sunny. The ground got real soupy.

My Camellia has sunk a bit. It's not too low yet, but if it settles any more I'm gonna have to lift it. Any advice on how to do that? Or links to reading material for that info?

• luis_pr
    6 years ago

To lift it, dig it out and "replant" it to fix any air pockets or add more soil if needed. Press down a bit when done tweaking it. I always try to get the new plants about 1/2 inch higher than the soil line. You just planted it so that will be ok. I had to do the same with a rose bush some years ago too. ;o(

If the ground remains wet for a while, this may be a problem for the camellia. But as long as the water drains out and does not remain wet then all is fine.

Love the formal doubles. As a matter of fact, I prefer the look of many of those formal doubles too but the japonica leaves are so sensitive to my summer heat that I am concentrating on sasanquas now. Not too many pure red sasanquas around or even formal double sasanquas..

• limi38
    6 years ago

I haven't lifted it, it is still 1"-1.5" above the soil line (concrete line for me).

Thanks for the advice, and for the sasanqua vs japonica bloom info- very interesting!

I have a bud starting to bloom.

• limi38
    6 years ago

Picture taken this morning.

• luis_pr
    6 years ago

Very nice and dark red shade. Temps here are fixing to dive to 17 and the 20s so I hope my japonica flower buds will handle those lows and have few bud drops. Knock, knock, knock on wood!

• limi38
    6 years ago

Today the local weather sites have 'hard freeze warning' for my area, predicted to last about 5-7 days. Never seen that warning before, or maybe I just wasn't paying attention till now. :D

It's been sprinkling a good bit leading up to this, so I think my NBR will be okay. Just as long as my plant makes it, I don't care what buds it looses!!

It was nice getting to see a bloom though.

• luis_pr
    6 years ago

I am in the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex and we also tanked to the teens this morning. The temperatures have been crashing since Saturday but, they should warm up by Wednesday. Can't wait. Too cold (wah! hee hee hee!) and too windy (wind chill of just 2) for what is normal this time in our neck of the woods. I may have some bud drop with my Japonicas. :o( Hope you all in colder locales are safe, ok and are enjoying the New Year!

• limi38
    6 years ago

Extreme cold over! I hope it doesn't come back anymore this year!

There are some brown spots on my NBRs leaves now. After a bit of googling I think it is 'winter burn'.

My Camellia's leaves were curling during the below freezing weather and I was watering it every day, and I could see the leaves recovering from the curl and going into curl, on and on, every day. Thanks for the advice on watering them during freeze, that was priceless advice! I'd hate to have to call Nuccio's Nursery, "uh, I killed the first plant you sent me, I need another".

I also have 6 buds trying to bloom right now!!