Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where can I find a large Nuccio's Bella Rossa

Posted by nolefan_2006 8b/9a (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 31, 12 at 16:43

Hello Everyone,
I'm looking for a large Nuccio's Bella Rossa. My local nursery carries beautiful 15 gallon Monrovia camellias (all Nuccio's Gem and Pearl). But, I asked them if they could special order a large Nuccio's gem and they came back and told me that they couldn't.

I'm not sure if that's because they don't want to fool with a small order of one plant, if Monrovia doesn't have a Nuccio's Bella Rossa of this size, or if they just aren't available, yet, this time of year.

I can find smaller sizes of Bella Rossa, but since my 5 gallon gems and pearls have only grown about 6 inches in 2 years, I'd prefer to buy a much larger Bella Rossa.

Does anyone know where I can buy a large Bella Rossa (preferably from Monrovia)? I am willing to drive up to 3 hours or so away from Jacksonville, FL. Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where can I find a large Nuccio's Bella Rossa

large gallon shrubs are not common because of the high price for one thing but I am not sure if it is impossible. The local nursery would have had to call Monrovia to determine if they had a large one in stock. That type of inquiry would have taken a while so if the local nursery said "no dice" quickly, I am not sure if they really called Monrovia. You can of course, call Nuccios directly: (626) 794-3383 or email Monrovia

Luis

o
RE: Where can I find a large Nuccio's Bella Rossa

Hi luis pr,
Thanks for the rec. Well, I don't really know about whether they called or not. I called them (they know me well. I order/buy a lot from them) and asked if they had one on site (I already knew they didn't) and I asked them to order one if possible from Monrovia. When I checked back two days later, the answer I got was we can't get any (any size). I found that questionable, but it is what it is. In the past I have requested certain other special plants and every time the answer has been, we checked and we can't get. I don't really believe that for three reasons- 1. That's always their answer. Always. 2. They order thousands of plants from Monrovia several times a year. You'd think that they could add in a few plants that I request. Odd that they can get tons of different camellias, just not the one I want. 3. I asked them to order a special plant a few months ago and the answer was "can't get it. We checked. Then, someone there heard me talking about another nursery that ordered a plant for me, but it never came in (because I later learned they never actually ordered the plant for me). Next thing I know, the next time I visited the nursery they told me that they heard how much I wanted these plants and they decided to order them for me.

Now, I'm not complaining, because they looked out for me and placed my order (successfully by the way). However, I was given a firm, "we can't get it. They're not available. Monrovia doesn't have any and we can't get them anywhere else" to "we're happy to order these for you" in less than 3 days. A little suspicious. I'm sure they don't want to play around with nickel and dime orders for 1 to 6 plants. I get that. They're running a business. It is what it is.

Just hoping that I can find Bella Rossa somewhere.

The nice thing about this nursery is that they have hundreds of very large mature 15 gallon camellias. They're beautiful and in great shape. Yes, they're expensive, but since my Nuccio's Gems and Pearls have only grown about 6 inches in two years it's well worth the price to me to buy a mature camellia. I understand camellias are slow growing and therefore expensive to buy and stock at a nursery. They command a premium. I'm willing to pay that premium for a good specimen. Hoping I find one somewhere...

I called Nuccio's today, but the man who answered asked me to call back in the morning, as every one had already gone home. I will. I've heard wonderful things about them. As for emailing Monrovia. I have done so in the past regarding 4 different plants. They haven't ever emailed me back. Probably too busy.

Thanks again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here