Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
derrick111

How fast do they grow?

Derrick111
11 years ago

Hi, I am thinking of planting a camellia in my yard and wanted to know how fast they grow in the Maryland area (just outside of DC). I found some in a 3 gallon pot for sale but I fear it will take quite a while before it looks somewhat substantial. The area is part shade (maybe even more shade than sun) and I am looking at the April Snow camellia or the Mine-Nu-Yuki.

Comment (1)

• luis_pr
    11 years ago

Hello, Derrick111. You may want to do a Forum SEARCH for "April Snow", in double quotes, to locate posts in which people talk about April Snow. Then send a GardenWeb Mail to people who live in MD or nearby. Do the same for Mine-Nu-Yuki.

In general terms, camellias are slow growers, nothing even close to the type of growth you get with a rose bush. But some grow faster than others.

Another contact alternative is to call or email the American Camellia Society Chapter for your area. Here is a sliver of info I got from the ACS Website about the Potomac Region Chapter. It covers the Northern Virginia, Maryland & DC Area. I think the information is 1-2 years old:

"Camellia Society of the Potomac Valley

The Camellia Society of The Potomac Valley was founded in January 1955 as an organization devoted to the culture of camellias. Its purposes are to:

1.Stimulate interest in camellia growing in the Washington, DC area;

2.Learn & report the best methods for growing camellias in this area;

3.Assist beginners & answer general questions concerning camellia culture.
    Programs are tailored to meet the interests of those growing camellias here in the northern part of the "Camellia Belt". Meetings are held the second Sunday in October, November, December, February, & March.

An annual ACS-sanctioned camellia show is held in April at the National Arboretum in Washington, DC. This features outdoor blooms of the more cold-hardy varieties of C. japonica growing in this area & includes greenhouse blooms & artistic arrangements. An annual picnic is held in the summer.

An autumn mini-camellia show is usually held in conjunction with the November meeting. An annual spring camellia sale is held at the Brookside Gardens in Wheaton, MD the middle of March.

Informative newsletters are sent by E-Mail to the membership after each of the regular meetings. Membership fee in the Society is $10.00, due January 1st. In addition to attending our meetings, discounted prices for ordering camellias each year is available to the membership. For information on joining our camellia society, I invite you to come to any one of our meetings or our annual camellia show or plant sale. You may e-mail me with questions at rngmohr@msn.com.

Sincerely,

Richard Mohr
    President of the Camellia Society of the Potomac Valley"

Elsewhere in the ACS Website, I also saw another notice giving Leslie Zupan as the President of that Chapter so, I am not sure who is the current president. The notice said that she can be reached in Alexandria, VA at (703) 548-9489 or at missz@aol.com.

Luis

Here is a link that might be useful: Camellia Society of the Potomac Valley

Sponsored
More Discussions