Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Burnt Leaves

Posted by sueinca 9 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 28, 05 at 22:19

I had my yard relandscaped in the Spring and the landscaper put in several camellias. I live in the Central Valley of California where it is normally 100 + during the summer. I questioned him when he put camellias in direct sunlight and he said they will do fine. Well...a few of the died and the others that have survived, all have leaves that are burned and brown. (On some leaves, half is green and healthy and the other half is brown and dead).

I need to know what to do with these plants? Should I transplant to a less sunny location? Should I remove the burnt leaves or let nature take its course? Help...I have no idea what to do!

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Burnt Leaves

I would transplant them to a shade location. I have three senior plants in the sun here in the SF Peninsula. One burns alot, one burns a little and one thrives with minor burning. I have burlap around the one that burns (not to pretty, but shades well). I formed a sort of box with redwood stakes and stapled the burlap around two sides and the top for shading. The other one that burns a bit will get burlap draped over the top. I use two four foot stakes and staple burlap (or shade cloth) between them. I'll drape it over the plant during the months that get a lot of sun.

Another alternative I used was to get a pot of bamboo that is tall enough to shade the camellia. I place it next to it and it helps somewhat. You'll need a boo that takes that heat. Maybe a bamboo clumper placed in the ground that shades the camellia.

Finally, I have a camellia sasanqua that is a wimp in any sun. During the sunny months I place a trellis in front of it that I covered in burlap. It works great and doesn't look bad at all. Good luck.

o
RE: Burnt Leaves

Actual camellia friend and grower in central valley can produce healthy camellia plant and better flower than that of coastal area of California.

If you can provide shade cloth overhead on wooden frame, your camellia will become a wonder plant to you. Well mulching, proper soil and timely water are important too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here