Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to plant Camelia seeds?

Posted by joe_n_sc 7 (thnkfl4plntz@yahoo.com) on
Thu, Sep 21, 06 at 0:19

I received some camelia seed pods from a relative that look like small apples. They are beginning to open up now and have a hard brown seed inside. I've never grown camelias from seed and need to know how to do it. Do they need cold storage to make them sprout? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Joel.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to plant Camelia seeds?

There are many ways, including the easiest which is just pushing them down into some soil near the surface until they germinate on their own -- duplicating nature. It may take a few weeks or a few months before they germinate.

The method I use is quicker and more dependable. Mix a handful of seeds with some moist (not wet) sphagnum moss, in a large ziploc bag. (Soak the moss, then wring out the water.) Zip up the bag containing seeds and moss, and leave it somewhere warm. (Our early autumn days are pretty warm here on the gulf coast, so I actually leave mine outside but not in direct sun.) Within a few weeks you will see the tap roots have formed. (Its like looking in a terrarium.)

Once they have germinated, remove the seeds and plant them. I put them all together in an extra pot or two, tap root down of course and seed planted just even with the the soil level. After they have sprouted leaves and grown for a few months they can be separated into separate liner pots. For soil mix, use something very light -- such as sand and perlite, or sand and a store bought planting mix which has a lot of bark. (Don't use potting mix which is dense and mushy.) Mix in the left over sphagnum moss from the ziploc bag.

Good luck, but be patient -- it takes a few years for the plant to reach blooming size. And you never know what you may get, each seed is a hybrid.

o
RE: How to plant Camelia seeds?

Like Forrest, I poke fresh camellia seeds barely into the ground and let Mother Nature take its course. The key to success with camellia seeds is to plant them as soon as they're ripe. You don't want to let the lie around aging and drying out. It is essential to plant them while they're fresh. After planting them, forget about them. In the SC Piedmont, camellia seeds ripen in September and October.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here