Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
after the roots grow on cuttings; what then?

Posted by PattiG_NC SEcoastNCz8 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 10, 04 at 9:06

Call me a poor planner or a pessimest, but I'm delighted to describe my "problem"; my camellia cuttings have rooted! It's what I was hoping for but heard they were so tough to start, so I'm surprised and thrilled. I took them from some antique camillias at our former home, and started them in a covered terrarium on my breeze way. I have to decide now what to do with these mini-plants; They have 2 original leaves or halved leaves each, at least one tiny new leaf bud (which showed up after I finally excised the mini-flower-buds they were working on,)and most of all, roots! but since they're in the terrarium, I'm worried that they'll get (roots) tangled up together. If I take them out and put them in pots, should I keep them in the breeze-way (screened, zone 8) to over-winter? should I still keep them covered with clear plastic? Are there other disadvantages besides root entanglement to just leaving them where they are? Or are they hardy enough just to pot them up and put them outside? It's in the high sixties at night here still. How much sun can they tolerate, or do they need? How should I proceed, and thanks in advance! Pat

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: after the roots grow on cuttings; what then?

Definately lightly shade them from direct sun and I would carefully pot them up singly into small clay pots of appropriate lime-free compost, water in, and continue them in a close environment while they become established - polythene, cold frame or back into the terrarium. Give protection from frosts during their first winter and plant out late spring or early summmer.

Here is a link that might be useful: my website

o
RE: after the roots grow on cuttings; what then?

A few days ago, after finding a large limb of one of our 'Lady Clare' camellias broken by a pine branch that had fallen during a storm, I spent a few minutes reading the chapter on propagation in one of my old Sunset publications entitled _Growing Camellias_. That chapter advises against moving rooted camellia cuttings except when they are in active growth. It says that if you move them when they are not in active growth, you will lose a high percentage of them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here