Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pattig_nc

after the roots grow on cuttings; what then?

pattig_nc
19 years ago

Call me a poor planner or a pessimest, but I'm delighted to describe my "problem"; my camellia cuttings have rooted! It's what I was hoping for but heard they were so tough to start, so I'm surprised and thrilled. I took them from some antique camillias at our former home, and started them in a covered terrarium on my breeze way. I have to decide now what to do with these mini-plants; They have 2 original leaves or halved leaves each, at least one tiny new leaf bud (which showed up after I finally excised the mini-flower-buds they were working on,)and most of all, roots! but since they're in the terrarium, I'm worried that they'll get (roots) tangled up together. If I take them out and put them in pots, should I keep them in the breeze-way (screened, zone 8) to over-winter? should I still keep them covered with clear plastic? Are there other disadvantages besides root entanglement to just leaving them where they are? Or are they hardy enough just to pot them up and put them outside? It's in the high sixties at night here still. How much sun can they tolerate, or do they need? How should I proceed, and thanks in advance! Pat

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Elegant Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
VA & DC's Finest General Contractor
More Discussions