Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this a 'seed'?

Posted by beth_b_Kodiak MD Zone 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 18, 05 at 10:08

Do Camellias set seed?? A while ago I noticed fat "pods" on one of the camellia bushes.(only one) They looked quite fat and early for next years flower buds but were in about the right location.
This morning I went out to survey for damage after a heavy thunder storm and found one of these "pods" had popped open and there was a kernel inside about like a small nut, black, hard and fairly heavy for it's size. Could this be a seed? There are quite a few more on the bush. ????? Now what??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this a 'seed'?

I had the same experience. Here's a thread you can read through for help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Camellia seed pod

o

Thanks for the link Socks, that was exactly what I needed. Very interesting. Guess that is one of the things that would fall under FAQ's. I'm another one who enjoys reading on the FAQs.... sometimes get sidetracked but always seem to learn something too.

o

Beth,

You have a seed! No telling what the flower will look like. It may take five years to find out. You'll need to kiss a lot of toads before you find a prince in camellia seed land. Lots of luck. Steve

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here