Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yuletide Camillia Problem

Posted by janette_2006 North Carolina (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 3, 06 at 14:11

I have two Yuletide Camillias that are potted separately on my front porch. One is doing very well and has set the buds for the winter bloom. The other one is dropping leaves and looks as if it is going to die. The limb will put out new leaves, but as soon as they open up, they fall off. This has been going on since July and I'm afraid that I'm going to lose it. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yuletide Camillia Problem

Just a hunch here, but on the weak one, check the root ball to see if the top of the root ball is too low and covered with soil on top, where the roots cant breath. Or if the pot drainage is bad. It sounds like when it gets water the roots are drowning, creating leaf drop. Its the same symptoms as drought -- the plant defoliates, then puts on growth. But in your case, the same thing happens again, which makes me think it is poor drainage and maybe planted too low. Whatever it is, the problem is in the roots. Your other one is okay -- the roots are getting air and there is good drainage. Try comparing them, and when the weather turns cool (inducing dormancy) try repotting the weak one in some light soil mix, not potting soil and see if it strengthens up next year. Be sure the top of the root ball is not buried. Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here