Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jrgardner

Camellia damaged by Ivan

jrgardner
19 years ago

My camellia was under a partial canopy of taller trees from my yard and my neighbors. Those trees were knocked down by Ivan and onto the camellia. I'm on the list for tree removal (this is a big tree that a professional will need to remove), so I don't know the extent of the damage.

Now that what's remaining will be in full sun, will it survive? Should I try to move it? If so, when?

Are there any types that like full sun?

Any guidance would be appreciated

Comments (5)

• forrestal
    19 years ago

No problem. While high dappled shade is the ideal goal, here along the gulf coast our climate (with high humidity) allows them to grow fine in full sun. In fact, some of the most beautiful field grown camellias are grown right here in full sun, like rows of corn. And if you take a country drive, you will notice gigantic room-sized camellias in full sun around old houses. Many of mine are in full sun or nearly full sun. You may see some leaf burn at first since the plant is unaccustomed to sun, but maybe not with the harsh summer sun behind us. It will re-adjust and be fine. And you will probably get more blooms!

Ivan really threw us for a loop, didn't it! It blew some of mine right over, root ball half out of the ground. One was smashed into splinters by a giant pine. But hey, at least I have room for more now!!

• jrgardner
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks for the advice. I'm glad to hear it. We did get the pine off of it yesterday afternoon and it's still intact - though very misshappen. We lost 15 of 17 trees in the yard, so the whole landscape has changed.

Would you recommend just leaving it be this fall/winter and seeing how it copes or is there something I can do to help it recover?

Thanks - JR

• forrestal
    19 years ago

Wow. The first thing I want to say is how much we feel for all of you. I don't know any of your details, but from what you have said I know this must be a hard time. I talked today to one of my best friends from Pensacola, who calmly described how his house was flooded, his roof is heavily damaged, and it will be months before they can get a roofing contractor, his wife and toddler son are staying elsewhere, while he stays home to guard the house, working from a makeshift desk from his garage, where he talked to me by cellphone. And he feels lucky compared to some others. Here in Mobile, we are returning to normalcy, except for the canyons of debris lining our streets to remind us of what has happened. We still have some more fallen trees to remove, but I am in no hurry, there is nowhere to put them. I just wish there was more we could do to help you guys. I wish I knew something about roofing.

About your camellia plant, you could certainly cut out any obviously broken limbs and start to reshape it if you want to, its not a bad time to prune, but there is no hurry. You will be surprised at the toughness of an established camellia, they are nearly indestructible. And it will still bloom on the surviving limbs that have buds. You could wait and reshape it later in the winter if you want, or do it now, either way. I predict it will come roaring back in a year or so, and probably better than ever. Good luck to all of you, our thoughts and prayers are for you.

• PeaBee4
    19 years ago

Yes, trim the broken pieces and don't worry. You will be surprised at what it will do. I would wait until spring to see what new growth will come to the broken areas. It may be that you will want to do some major reshaping, but it may not be needed. It's too soon to tell.

If the bush is well established, the amount of sun should not be a problem. It may need more mulching and water to keep those roots from drying out quicker, but that's about all.

If it's a small bush, you could move it with a good chance of success. Do you have a spot that is really suitable? whether or not it would survive depends on how well you took care of it.

• jrgardner
    Original Author
    19 years ago

It's a rather large bush -- at least 7-8' tall and I'm sure it's been around for several years. That makes me think it will survive. It does look a little funny, but the buds that were there haven't started dropping, so I think that's a good sign.

I will make sure to water it this week -- we have not had any rain since the hurricane -- which is good for my roof, but bad for what's trying to survive in my yard.

I would like to plant some additional camellias in the yard (they remind me of my mother's garden). Any suggestions for those that like our weather?

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
More Discussions