Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
troianustriumphus

camellia houseplant

troianustriumphus
18 years ago

I would like to know if it is possiable to grow a camellia bush as a houseplant in a unheated bright room. I dont know the name of the variety I have but it seems to hate direct sunlight (no matter how little) and burns very easily.I thought it might be a good candidate for a houseplant. Has anyone here succesfully grown and bloomed a camellia indoors? also what varietys would most likely be best for doing so?

thank you in advance,

troi

Comments (3)

• luis_pr
    18 years ago

Like they say... never say 'never'. I have no doubt that someone somewhere has done that already so I would answer your question by saying that it is difficult. Camellias require moist, humus filled, loose, well oxygenated topsoil if they are to thrive. And the environment in most houses is anything but moist, specially in the winter. Some sun is nice because it makes the plants less leggy and you can get more/bigger blooms but, if the room is very bright, that may be OK for you. I can also see spider mites doing their thing and driving you nuts. But, I will not say it is impossible. Any particular reason why you are not planting it outside? In time, they do get big (they can live hundreds of years under ideal conditions). Besides, you are only in Zone 7 and many camellias do grow well outside in that zone (you would have to find the name of your variety in order to make sure). Luis

• longriver
    18 years ago

Obviously camellia is an outdoor plant. I even mentioned it to my friend, who is living in San Francisco. I gave her one of my fragrant seedling plant about 6 years ago. To my surprise for years she told me that her camellia in pot indoor is blooming again with nice fragrance.

Then I learned her " house plant situation ":

1. Bright reflected light.
    2. Use heater at very low setting. Winter at SF is cool, but not very cold. Humidity in SF winter time is high.
    3.In most part of country we have to keep room warmer through heater and yet window is cold. The humidity indoor in such condition can be very low which would cause camellia leaves to drop.
    4.I keep my many camellia plants indoor for no more than 3 weeks, mainly for cross pollination. Otherwise the leaves will drop. I have central heater on during the winter time. I need the warm temperature to increase the chance of setting seeds
    5. I am not sure how healthy is her plant?
    6. Try it if you have the preferred conditions in your house and let us know.

• troianustriumphus
    Original Author
    18 years ago

thank you both for taking the time out to answer me. There is no particular reason for me to grow it indoors other then curiosity. Iam glad to here that it isnt impossable and thank you both for the encouragement.I will definitly try it and let you guys know how it turns out.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH
More Discussions