Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bevgooldy_gw

Transplanted camillia dying???

bevgooldy
13 years ago

In Aug. I bascially almost hat racked my topiary camilia tree to make it smaller, Then decided the real problem was the hot south sun so I transplanted it to the north side and have been watering it every day since. We have sandy soil but in 2 weeks the few remaining leaves had wilted and died. I have only cut back a very few small branches (1 inch) but they appear dead. Is the tree dead??? It has been a month now since being transplanted and no new leaf buds have yet to appear. HELP!

Comments (2)

• luis_pr
    13 years ago

It does not sound promising but try to maintain the soil constantly moist (not wet or dry) until Spring. For a plant with moisture issues, translant shock and a compromised root system, constant soil moisture is what you should strive for. Cycles of wet and dry stress the shrub and can dry out the root ball; if this happens, the plant could be a goner. Wait until leaf out time in Spring to take any action. If it does not leaf out then you know for sure.

Since you have sandy soil, your normally need to add 50% more water always as a guideline. You also need to mix a lot of organic materials in the new soil because sand per se has very little plant food. Compost is a good amendment since it is organic, has lots of minerals and absorbs a lot of water when you wet it. I would not try to add fertilizers or compost to a plant that is so stressed yet; if it receovers, do so next year. If you dod not amend the sand when replanting then I would add either liquid seaweed or liquid fish when watering since these are weak fertilizers.

Some root hormone might have helped when transplanting (I would have used a weak version/solution, if you have a choice when buying it, since camellia roots are small and fibruous). An alternative is a product called Superthrive that I have not tried but some people like.

A sure way of telling if the shrub is still alive would be to prune well-selected stems in small increments (1/2" or 1") until you hit green.

Maintain 3-4" of mulch past the drip line to minimize having to water often and creating another problem such as fungal infections or root rot. Good luck, bevgooldy!

• kal2002
    13 years ago

I have a similar problem. I transplanted a sasanqua kanjiro from a pot to the ground this year spring. We have clayish soil. It was not doing well. Its leaves turned brown and crispy and it looks dead by the summer. I tried to keep it watered even though everything was brown. I planned on replacing it with another one until two days ago, new growths showed up at 2 different places on the main stem. Just 2 leaves at each location but it looks like it was not totally dead after all. Is that possible?

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!
More Discussions