Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joe_fristoe

Camellia islands/gardens/full view planting a

Bama_Joe
9 years ago

I have 3 Japonica Black Magics and a Yuletide, may pick a few more. I want to see how your camellias are layer out, what companion plants and trees, etc.

Bring em on!!!

Comments (5)

• Vicissitudezz
    9 years ago

Bama Joe, I think your island will be a work in progress as your tree, then your camellias grow large enough to provide shade for companion plants.

Once you have a shady oasis, you can grow hostas, ferns, hakone grass and woodland plants. And of course, you can add more camellias, hydrangeas, a few more azaleas, maybe a dogwood, etc. And if you'd like something a bit less traditional, there are so many new plants (or new cultivars of old plants), that you should be able to find something that you like.

If you like old roses, there are some shade-tolerant not-too-huge roses that might be nice- a Polyantha like 'Clotide Soupert' or 'Leonie Lamesch' might suit you?

You may also want to try some woodland plants that are native to your area. Your state probably has a Native Plant Society (I've gotten some nice plants from our local NPS plant sales), but another good resource is the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center- see the link below...

But the best way to find out what plants do well in your area is to look around to see what's doing well in nearby yards.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center

• Bama_Joe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the reply. My landscaper came out and we went over a plan for my yard. The camellias will be going out back (already in the process of tearing down all but the roof and supports of my screened in patio). I decided to do it right since I'm a beginner. I'm an Alabama fan, but no doubt about it...Auburn University is THE horticulture center of the US....which is where he received his degree. He has a lot of experience and I'm extremely excited to see things in the ground. He used his compass and studied the neighbors trees and the shade they were throwing, so my japonica should thrive, along with getting to lay on my hammock out back with the dogs and enjoy nature. The front will also be much improved, as he is relocating all the plants out front and planting a bed from scratch (Japanese Maple as the center piece (new type of Holly for the anchor plant...forget the name..crimson something?). The yuletide and Cleopatra also moving out back. Yep..can't wait and should be done next week.

When that October Glory out front is big, that will be another nice project. I love watching things grow and progress.

• Vicissitudezz
    9 years ago

It sounds like you've made some good decisions, and I agree that Auburn has a great reputation when it comes to horticulture.

I love the sound of what you've got planned, but also hope you'll eventually get some camellias in the front as well... But then, I do have just a slight camellia bias...

Good luck,
    Virginia

• Bama_Joe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Really have the camellia bug, so it's only a matter of time (when my maple starts throwing enough shade). Wish I had the bug when I was in Kyoto, Japan for two weeks. Hopefully I will be able to make a trip back some day. I understand they have some really awesome gardens of them.

• Vicissitudezz
    9 years ago

It sounds like the perfect excuse for going back to Japan. I've seen some beautiful photos of camellias in Japan, but I know the actual gardens ought to be seen "in person".

I do think it's wise to wait for shade before planting japonicas out front, but a sasanqua might work in a sunny location... I'm just sayin'.

Virginia

Sponsored
Closet America
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars133 Reviews
Northern Virginia, Baltimore & DC Metro's Closet Organization Company
More Discussions