Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Found Nuccios Bella Rossa. Need advice.

Posted by donnabaskets 7b-8 MS (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 1, 09 at 19:19

Wayside Gardens has Bella Rossa, which I have been lusting after for several years. This is the first mail order place I have seen it. It is $29.95 for a trade Gallon (3 quart). The info says it will reach 6 to 8 feet high after TEN years. My question is how long do you think I will wait to see blooms if I buy a plant this small.
Does anyone know a source for a larger plant???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Found Nuccios Bella Rossa. Need advice.

It was developed by Nuccio's Nurseries in California; why not call them directly (626) 794-3383
and see how much it would cost to order from them. The plant is also distributed by wholesalers Monrovia and Growquest. Local nurseries that get plants from them can special order for you. Other local nurseries can also order from those two. I have seen this camellia for sale locally at local nurseries but I doubt there is much stock in camellias this time of the year. They seem to get shipments near the end of the year (some nurseries may tell you when they expect camellias to arrive if you ask and if they know).

o

Thanks, luis. There is no Monrovia nursery anywhere near me and I have checked. I have tried calling Nuccios Nurseries in the past too, but was never able to get anyone to answer the phone. I am, however, very encouraged to hear that you have seen bella rossa offered near you. My daughter is in Fort Worth, so I will start calling around. (She always needs Christmas gift ideas...) There is a list of Monrovia dealers on their website. Do you by any chance recall which one you saw bella at? Around here, camellias begin arriving in the garden centers in October. Does that sound about right?

Bless you for holding down the fort on this off season forum!

o

No, sorry, I do not recall exactly where I saw it but it was either at Calloway's or North Haven Gardens in Dallas. Those are the places with the best selection.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here