Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gaalan

Yuletide shy?

GAAlan
19 years ago

I was out looking at some of my camellias a few days ago including two Yuletide, and it hit me, they haven't bloomed for me yet. I've had one in the ground since October 10, 2001, the other November 7 same year. I know these are very slow growing compared to many, but this is going too far! Has anyone else had a similarly long frustrating wait? I really like the plants themselves, they are very handsome, but c'mon guys can't I have at least one flower? Pretty please!?!

Comments (10)

• phillip_in_alabama
    19 years ago

Yes, I have. I've had mine in the ground for two years with maybe one or two blooms each year.

• jared_sc
    19 years ago

I agree with Phillip. I planted two 'Yuletide' sasanquas on either of the front doorsteps a couple of years ago; and I don't see any buds on them whatsoever this year. However, I think there were a couple of blooms last year. The plants are healthy and grew well this year, but they are slow growing.

• elishagt
    19 years ago

We are having the opposite problem. We planted a yuletide in the spring, and it started blooming this weekend. I thought that the one flower was a fluke. But this morning I found two more.

• LoraxDave
    19 years ago

Mine has been slow also. I had it in the ground for a couple of years at my previous home, and it maybe opened a few blooms. I transplanted it to my new place a couple of years ago. I don't recall many blooms last year (maybe none??), but am hoping for more this year. I also really like it for its habit and blackish-green foliage.

• Dieter2NC
    19 years ago

Not to sound condescending, but is it possible you have it planted too deep?

• GAAlan
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Dieter, if I had only one plant that would be something to consider. I have two though, planted in widely separate places, and neither has bloomed. I see no signs of buds on either plant this year. I am perplexed, but the plants are so attractive I should not complain.

• GAAlan
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I have been made a liar!! For once that makes me very happy! I just found at least 5 flower buds on one of my Yuletides!! It is the one I have in a spot that is in shade in the afternoon.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    19 years ago

I planted one last fall. It bloomed some in December or so. However, it's in a spot that does get morning sun and afternoon shade, on the woodland edge, and all the blooms faced the woods. It has a lot blooms right now, but if it does that thing again, I'm going to move it in the spring. Handsome plant though!

• GAAlan
    Original Author
    19 years ago

My Yuletide with buds opened a flower yesterday! I am glad I didn't have to wait another month or two. Now that I have flowers again(plants actually bloomed same year they were planted), it makes me think this may be my favorite Camellia. I REALLY like the plant and the flowers!

• phillip_in_alabama
    19 years ago

I just returned home from a week vacation and my Yuletide is covered with blooms! I hope to get a photo of it and post it on the gallery within a few days.