Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brandyray

Red camellias- what do you have?

brandyray
16 years ago

Hi, everyone. I want to get a couple red camellias and I was wondering who has a red one and do you like it? Please tell me the name of your plant, how long you've had it, and how big it is.

I am also fond of striped camellias, so if you have one of those, I'd be glad to hear about it. Thanks! Brandy

Comments (13)

• GAAlan
    16 years ago

I have 'Professor Charles S Sargent' and 'Paulette Goddard'.

The Professor, planted as a one gallon on 1/9/02, is located in mostly shade and thus hasn't grown or flowered a whole lot. It was 2'2" by 11" when planted and is now 4'1" by 4'3". This is probably one of the more common red japonicas, because I see old ones all over.

Paulette, planted as a five gallon on 12/9/02, was 2'6" by 22" and is now 6' by 5'4". It has benefitted from more morning sun and has flowered pretty well. Its supposed to be more cold hardy than most japonicas. Very big beautiful flower that slightly reminds me of a reticulata.

• GAAlan
    16 years ago

I forgot to mention my 'Mabel Bryan'. It has that candy cane, red and white color mixture. It was a one gallon planted 12/22/01 at 2'4" by 1' then and is 3'8" by 2'3" now. Another plant in quite a lot of shade that does get some morning sun. I have a picture from March 2 this year to share............

{{gwi:513247}}

• brandyray
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you, gaalan. I like that striped one. My striped camellia is Lady van Sittart. Thanks for sharing. Brandy

• brandyray
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I saw pics of Tom Knudsen, waas thinking about him. I'll look when I go to the nursery, hopefully, next month. And I'll look the others up too. Thanks, Brandy

• natalie4b
    16 years ago

I planted 4 Tom Knudsen this year. The buds are huge, and according to the pictures the future flowers must be red. Thank goodness they are surviving, since we are on a watering ban. Those rains helped a lot.

• sunnync
    16 years ago

I love Grand Slam, very large semidouble deep red. Have had it several years and it is probably 6' high and 4' wide. Another lovely red is my Pope Pius IX, aka Prince Eugene Napoleon. It has a cherry red med. sized formal double bloom. Plant is about the same size as the above. Both has been in ground for 4 to 7 years. Kramer's Supreme is next on my list to acquire. It has very large peony blooms of bright red. Enjoy!

• luis_pr
    16 years ago

I too have The Professor, Yuletide, Kramer's Supreme and striped Eleanor McCown. Also had Tom Knudsen until the dogs destroyed the shrub when chasing squirrels....

• ezlivin1
    16 years ago

I have Blood of China, Tom Knudson, Firebird, Hiryu.
    Blood of china I have had in Philly for five years, now five feet tall, no problems, yet, in the winter. Big plus: China blooms late, with the Kurume azaleas, on Mother's Day!

• boxofrox
    16 years ago

I recently bought a Tom Knudsen and a Liberty Bell which are both red but neither has bloomed yet. The TK should bloom soon because the buds are swelling and showing lots of red. I also bought a striped one that is supposed to resemble an Eleanor McCown. It didn't have a tag on it but I think the gal told me it was a Grandiflora or something like that. I'm fairly new to camellias but already have those three plus a Marie Bracey and a Scentsation. I tried to guess at bloomtimes so they will sequence and lead me into my daphne odoras and sarcococcas :-)

• kittymoonbeam
    16 years ago

Right now I've got a good show on Rudolph, a nice anemone form japonica and I have 3 other japonicas as well- Kramer's Supreme ( which with some sun, smells divine!) Nuccio's Bella Rossa and the biggest japonica I ever saw, Grand Prix. Grand Prix is a BIG single with lovely long yellow stamens in the center. I don't usually go for singles, but this one won me over. The red color is very pure. If you haven't seen Nuccio's Bella Rossa yet, it's magnificent as well. The petals can line up exactly with each other radiating outward from the center in a starburst pattern. Whenever I get one that does that, I'm in awe of it. Mine's a young plant so it doesn't have lots of buds but I'm hoping as time goes on, the number of buds on the plant will increase the odds of thoes perfect blooms.

• sandy808
    16 years ago

Well, I was just talked into getting Rubra, Tomorrow, and R.L. Wheeler by Bob Wine Camellia Farm. (They didn't have to twist my arm very much). Yesterday I went back and got Tudor Baby (a formal smokey red - unusual) and today I went back and picked up Prof. Sargent. Naturally, I'm adding some whites and pinks to compliment them all.

I haven't quite figured out where they are all going yet, but I have no regrets!

• mandi_s1
    16 years ago

I've got a Kramers supreme which was a two gallon pot and is on it's second winter in the ground. It has HUGE buds and I can't wait. The blooms look almost like a double hibiscus.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus
More Discussions