Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joe_fristoe

Camellia Japonica Black Magic - cannot plant by porch

Bama_Joe
9 years ago

I purchased two Camellia Japonica Black Magic specimens and had planned to plant them in my flower bed below my North facing porch. Reality and common sense set in and there just isnt enough room. I am thinking about coming out into the yard a hair and planting about 5 feet from the sidewalk leading to the front door. The plan is to space them evenly (I was thinking even with the two outer edge hummingbird feeders on my porch (one is behind the Maple Tree). I really want to plant these Camellias and also have a Yuletide yet to plant (taking ideas on that as well). This house faces directly North. The description for Black Magic is that it will tolerate full sun one established. Thoughts/ideas?

Comments (6)

• Bama_Joe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hopefully this gives a better idea of what I have. The potted azaleas and all rhododendrons will not be in the front yard. I just haven't decided where they will go. Only concerned about placing the 3 Camellias (two black magic and 1 yuletide

Here is a link that might be useful: Video walk thru of front yard

This post was edited by Bama_Joe on Sun, Sep 14, 14 at 8:50

• Vicissitudezz
    9 years ago

I would not advise planting camellias along the sidewalk unless you really just like to prune plants. Camellias grow slowly, but most will get to be the size of a small tree.

Azaleas might be a good choice to have closer to the house, and a camellia bed out in the yard would break up the sameness of all the grass and provide a focal point for the yard. If the tree you have planted there will eventually be pretty large, the camellias might look nice planted around it, and would benefit from its shade in the summer.

Yes, camellias can tolerate full sun with adequate moisture, but the foliage will look better if the plants have some shade. They are woodland plants.

I think it will look nice once you get it all going.

Good luck,
    Virginia

• Bama_Joe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Virginia,

This is what is planted in front of the two front bedrooms. 10 azaleas and a hydrangea.

The tree is an autumn blaze maple and will get plenty big. Where are you talking about placing the camellias, just a circle around the maple? I have 2 black magic and 1 yuletide, so wasn't sure if it would look okay mixing the 2 japonica with the sasanquas. If that would be alright, we may have a winner here. What distance from the Maple did you have in mind?

I was thinking about planting 5 feet off the sidewalk, thinking they wouldn't get more than 10 feet wide. I'm new to camellias. You idea sounds interesting and since this is my first year landscaping, planting or whatever you'd like to call this wonderful stress reliever, I love new ideas.

Ended up planting 3 rose creek abelia in the bed below the porch, with 3 Holly ferns on each end. They will be a much more appropriate fit.

Thanks for your response, they've been few and far between (think the thread subject threw folks off.

• Vicissitudezz
    9 years ago

Yes,I like the look of the landscaping you've already got closer to the house, but I love the look of a tree surrounded by camellias- it's a classic look, IMO, and breaks up that endless-sea-of-grass look that's easy to mow, but not so visually stimulating...

A Maple is great since it will give the camellias some shade in the summers, and provide just a little of that Asian-garden look without looking out of place in an American garden.

One nice thing about this idea is that it can be easily expanded so that you can add another tree, some more camellias, an interesting shrub or two that you like the looks of... And once you've got some shade from the tree/ shrubs, you might add some hostas or other shade-tolerant plants that appeal to you and are suitable for your climate.

I'm guessing from your tagline that you're in Alabama? Look in some older neighborhoods near you to see how people have used landscape islands with trees, shrubs and mulch- probably pine straw and pine bark... There are a lot of variations on the theme, so use whichever ideas appeal to you.

I know your yard will look great once those shrubs and tree mature a bit...

Good luck,
    Virginia

• theoriginaldawgone
    9 years ago

The yuletide I would plant away from anything else- camellias generally grow slow--but do get big. I know from first hand experience that the yuletide will get HUGE- Massive --really. I have a friend in Americus Georgia that has one 20' tall and about 12' wide

• User
    9 years ago

Bama,
    Rainbird is a very reasonable priced watering system for you instead of the hose reel, if you don't want it there.
    Plant the red camellia on the other side of the house, on the right. Right by the corner.
    Camellias are TREES. So try to remember that.
    It will look nice and soften the house edge from the street.
    Don't plant any camellia anywhere close to that maple.
    Please do a google search on Maple roots.
    I have never seen anything more demanding of its surrounding on shrubs and plants than maple roots.
    If you eventually would like a little privacy on your front porch, you could plant the other two camellias where you want to plant them.
    But for some reason, I think you better just stick to the far right of your front yard.
    Crape mytles are very kind to anything you plant around them
    Crapes play well with others. lol
    If you don't figure anything out, you can always plant the camellias all on the sides of your home.
    Its going to look real nice when that all grows in.
    I wish I had that software (there is garden design software) so I could give you an idea of how its all going to look 5 years from now.
    I'm gong to see if I can find some.

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Ohio
More Discussions