Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
favorite camellias/rain spoilage

Posted by azehav 7/8 Oregon (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 18, 04 at 20:42

I have room for one camellia in a hedge and want to choose a really nice one. Here in Portland, OR I see a lot of camellias, but so many of them spoil in our heavy spring rain. Any suggestions? I like Jordan's Pride/Herme, Tom Knudsen, Taylor's Perfection, Pink Perfection, Glen 40, Kramer's Supreme....There seems to be so many pretty ones, any help would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: favorite camellias/rain spoilage

This may not be the problem where you are, but when we have a lot of rain, those camellias that have even a little blossom wilt do "spoil" and look terrible. Those that are healthy do just fine. Of course, that means that usually they have been sprayed to stop the disease before the rains started.

those seasons when I have sprayed as a preventative, mine have done well. those years when I have be lazy and didn't get around to it.......well, we won't talk about it because it's usually pretty awful! Even a little rain can ruin.
PB

o

Check around the garden web for MorZ8, who is from your part of the country and is very knowledgable about growing camellias in the PNW.

o

Of the ones you have, I have Jordan's Pride/Herme, and Kramers Supreme.

Seems to me flowers show rain damage less when they're not white or pale pink, and smaller flowers get knocked off less by rain.

Those two varieties are both fragrant Japonicas, which is nice, but Herme has white & light pink on it; Kramer's Supreme is darker, so might hide imperfections like bruising better. Haven't grown it long enough, though, to judge if it buds heavily enough to last well past the rains.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here