Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Variegation or virus?

Posted by token28001 zone7 NC (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 28, 09 at 21:14

It's coming from the stump of an unknown camellia. It was hard pruned two years ago and is the only limb with this coloring. Is it harmful?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Variegation or virus?

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 28, 09 at 23:44

Variegation due to virus. It will come and go. Seldom important.

o

The virus that causes this type of variegation is generally not harmful to your plants. It causes foliage variegation like the one in your image and flower variegation. If a plant's flower would normally be solid red, one that has been infected with the virus would have red flowers with some white blotching. Variegation can be spread by grafting, and in the camellia world, more times than not, it was spread purposely. I would not worry about it at all. Your plant looks very healthy.

o

The effect looks pretty on the leaves though. Reminds me of some tropicals plants.

o

I have virus infected camellias and true variegation on a few camellias as well. This looks like variegation. It's mainly on 1 side of the stem. Try to encourage growth from the variegated side and propagate from that. This variety has a consistent variegation quite different from the viruses I see on Camellias. Of course only a lab test tells for sure.
Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here