Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joe_fristoe

Should I replant this Camellia? peat and soil conditioner mix

Bama_Joe
9 years ago

She (Cleopatra) was planted to replace a yuletide I am moving due to color clash with azaleas I plan to plant. I planted no deeper than the root ball and about 3 ft wide. It is clay soil and I used 50/50 mix of peat/soil conditioner. I read an article tonight where that might retain too much moisture. She is starting to bloom, but I don't want blooms for a season, but a camellia for life. Opinions and constructive criticism welcomed. Thanks "ya'll"!

Comments (9)

• luis_pr
    9 years ago

I would keep the blooms or at least some of the blooms if for no other reason than to verify that it is truly Cleopatra. I have gotten mislabeled shrubs before but none has been a camellia. Post pictures when you get some. Should be "soon" since it is a sasanqua.

• Bama_Joe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Should thus planting method be fine for the health of the shrub?

First bloom opening this morning.

• Bama_Joe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The bag said said for acid loving plants, use 50/50. I used 50% peat and the other 50 was straight soil conditioner. It felt like that was best at the time, but wanted to check before this thing roots. I also used the recommended amount of diluted root stimulator after planting and mixed in sulfur with the soil conditioner and peat (mixed it with and odd job mixer...awesome piece of equipment).

• luis_pr
    9 years ago

Nice bloom, Joe. I have been trying to add one or more sasanquas as the only ones that I have are japonicas that bloom in mid season and are sometimes affected by what the weather is doing at the time. Last year, we had so many wild temp swings that the plants started blooming in Jan (normal is December) then stopped and started back in late March. But my definition of trying is that I am thinking about it only. Hee hee hee!

I do not think I would have used a root stimulator on such a large specimen but that is just personal preference. I tend to use them with bare root specimens or when propagating cuttings but such a huge camellia would not need much help. I use mild ones on azaleas and rhodies due to their fibruous root systems but a "medium" strength would probably work on camellias.

My soil is alkaline so I have to amend it for the camellias. I always amend in Spring and repeat in mid-late summer when the hydrangeas complain. Camellias usually do not "complain" of alkalinity for me. They must tolerate it.

What is this mixer that you were talking about in your last comment?

• Bama_Joe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That's actually why I created this thread. I removed the clay, put double handfuls of soil conditioner, then double handfuls of peat moss and alternated until the top of the mixer swirls were about two inches showing. You rock it for 5 minutes and violia! Its mixed! I wasn't sure if I should replant or planting with ONLY soil conditioner, peat moss and some fast acting sulfur would be okay. Didnt like the way the clay mixed when I cultivated the other hole (6 inches) for the Yuletide I moved. That mixer is great, though.

BTW, is it normal for a flower to droop on the first afternoon? We may have had some rain, it's not brown and just drooping. This is my first Camellia, but have the Yuletide and two Black Magics yet to plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Odjob Mixer

• luis_pr
    9 years ago

Thanks for the link. How cool is that mixer!

No, the bloom should not droop (at keast, not too much) but I would not be too concerned as the plant will go thru transplant shock and this sometimes causes drooping. Just keep an eye on the soil moisture and make sure it does not get too much sun in AL. Over here, I give mine 2-3 hrs of sun only. Maybe test soil moisture daily by inserting a finger into the soil to a depth of 4" and water when the soil feels almost dry or dry. Adding 3-4" of mulch will make the water in the soil last longer.

• Bama_Joe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The bloom opened fully (guess it hadn't had a chance yet (less than 24 hours and had light rain) and have two other blooms, with more starting to open. I'm a happy camper and new Camellia lover.

• theoriginaldawgone
    9 years ago

Nice mulch job-- pine straw is the best way to go!!!

Every one has his own taste- I would plant a few pines , a few more camellias and a cold hardy citrus or two

Nice job!!!!

Sponsored
More Discussions