Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone have the New Fire 'n Ice Camellia?

Posted by Jazzmom516 Zone 7 LI, NY (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 16, 04 at 22:29

I am researching for my backyard the cold hardy camellias. I saw at the ACS website Fire 'n Ice and Bette Sette. Anyone growing these 2 camellias as I am considering both for my backyard. They will go on an eastern exposure with shade from a dogwood. How tall do they both get and how wide? I'm hoping about 4-5 feet wide and as tall. If not that tall but taller I will keep it at 6 feet high.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone have the New Fire 'n Ice Camellia?

Camellias are fairly slow growing. According to Monrovia's website, Fire 'n Ice is "Moderate growth to 6 to 8 feet tall and as wide." It will take the plant a number of years to get to that size. So they are not a plant for the impatient gardener.

As for size, the actual size of the camellia will depend on the specific variety. If it helps, I've eight in my yard that are 55 years old and that range from about eight to twelve feet in height. Both the Huntington Library and Descanso Gardens have even older ones that are the size of small trees, much like dogwoods.

Generally, all of the camellias I've seen have had their height and width about the same unless you prune them.

Hope this helps & good luck,
Mark

Here is a link that might be useful: Monrovia

o

Thanks Mark for the site on Monrovia. I saw 'Fire 'n Ice' on it and I think I would prefer the 'Bette Sette' camellia for my yard.

o

I ended up going with 'April Tryst' because when I saw 'Bette Sette' it was too pink for me. The camellias have now been planted and spaced properly along a western facing fence with eastern exposure. The rain today should do them nicely.

o

• Posted by mprats z6NJ Plainfield (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 2, 05 at 19:18

Jazzmom, where did you buy your camellias? Thanks.

o

I purchased the camellias at Hicks Nursery in Westbury, NY and I believe there is a nursery in NJ that does sell retail to homeowners that I discovered when I did the initial research. See link below:

Here is a link that might be useful: Fairweather Gardens

o

I have both, but Fire n Ice did not survive the previous winter. Bette Sette did.

o

Hmm...I thought camellias were a southern thang......surprized to see so many ny'ers...Oh silly me....

o

Hi there! Yes, we have what's called cold hardy or winter tolerant camellias here! Only to Zone 6/7 though. I ended up purchasing 2 Camellia 'April Tryst' for my yard. A lovely red color for my eastern exposure of my backyard. It's a real nice thing that Ackerman and Parks did with hybridization techniques so us Northerners can get what you Southerners have had 'a closed only to Southerners club' with camellias for years.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here