Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moving a camellia-is it possible?

Posted by brandyray Coastal NC/8a (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 30, 13 at 22:44

I have a camellia that has outgrown its location. I took a look at the thread about transplant stress and realized that I need to wait til around Dec. to move it. It is about 9 ft tall but w/ a fan sort of shape- not a big round shrub, and I only planted it about 5 yrs ago. Would now be the time to cut a circle around it? The ground is not likely to freeze here (and it's all sand). I also need to decide where to plant it- thinking about the edge of the woods; that would put it about 15 ft from its current location. How big of a root ball should I expect? Is this going to be hopeless w/o machinery? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moving a camellia-is it possible?

These articles may be useful:
http://camelliaexpress.wordpress.com/2013/07/25/relocating-camellias-sucessfully-by-gene-phillips/

http://www.burncoose.co.uk/site/page.cfm?page_ref=how_to_care_for_shrubs

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/transplant-camellia-japonica-bush-37885.html

http://www.aces.edu/counties/StClair/documents/NRCamelliaMoveGlover09.pdf

http://www.pacifichorticulture.org/articles/a-half-century-of-camellias-find-a-new-home/

I've never had to move an established camellia, so can't offer any first-hand advice, but I hope this helps.

Good luck!

o

Thank you for the info. I found the first link and the last one to be the most helpful. I will try to take a 5 ft rootball w/ it. I agree w/ the newer research that indicates it is better not to add amendments, but I will likely add mulch to the bottom of the hole because the sand here lets the water pass right through. Anyway, it will be an adventure... I also have a lilac bush to move, and it is about the same size. I hope they both make it. Thanks again.

o

Your plants must be happy where they are, or they wouldn't be out-growing their location. If you're moving them to a similar location, I don't see why they shouldn't be happy there as well.

I know next to nothing about lilacs, but camellias- at least established camellias- are pretty tough.

o

Thank you, I hope it will survive the move. I haven't picked out an exact spot but it will be about 20 ft from the current location, and will be in the edge of the woods.

o

• Posted by corrine1 7b Pacific Northwest (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 25, 13 at 21:30

I've moved 3 camellias last year with success & not necessarily following the "rules".

The largest one was actually a rescue meaning it was dug out in late March while in bud, covered with a damp sheet, then whacked back to nubs. It was offered on freecycle near my work & since my favorite color bright rose pink I was willing to try. I planted it in good soil in part sun & it regrew feeder roots putting on new growth by late June.

The other 2 were 30 year old camellias that had been repeatedly hard pruned by former tenants. They were planted too close to the house & blocked a window. One resprouted from the ground. The other from an 18" trunk. Both are growing at the edge of the yard bordering native woods. The original owner was pleased I moved them further from the house & apologized for planting so closely.

I mulched all of them & provided water during our summer drought. They're tough plants.

o

Thank you, Corinne, that is encouraging. I did not want to disbud it so I decided to wait til Nov or Dec when it will be colder here. It is blooming now- creamy blossoms w/ yellow centers.

o

Creamy blossoms with yellow centers sounds lovely. Is it a sasanqua, or an early japonica?

o

I wanted to follow up on this thread and thank all of you who gave me info. The move appears to have been successful- leaves are still green, no wilting. Hurray!
As for which type it is, unfortunately I don't remember the name of this one. (My favorite is in back by the deck and it is a Bob Hope- zillions of buds in late fall.) My Yuletides have gotten larger and have large deep red buds on them :)
thanks again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here