Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Camellia 'Katherine Cathcart'

Posted by carolinakate z7b NC Piedmont (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 11, 04 at 0:29

Has anyone ever heard of this camellia? A story passed down says there was one. It obviously isn't very common. Does someone know how to find old records of such things? Probably named in the 20's or 30's.
Thanks for any help.
Kate

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Camellia 'Katherine Cathcart'

'Catherine Cathcart' is shown in the Camellia Nomenclature Supplement (1996) which lists many historical varieties that, generally speaking, are no longer in substantial commercial distribution. You may still find them in old gardens, and occasionally at a camellia specialty nursery.

The Supplement indicates the bloom was imported from Europe to Magnolia Gardens (Charleston S.C.) in the 1940's, where it was then distributed. It produces a medium sized formal-double bloom that is colored pink with white mottled splotches, blooming mid to late season (March). Some unofficial names for it were 'Leila,' 'Lord Darby,' and 'San Antonio."

I also have found a catalogue description (similar to the above) along with a color image in the book "Camellias" by G.G. Gerbing (1945 ed.) who back then carried it at his nursery in Fernandina (Amelia Island) Florida. It evidently was very popular at one time. The picture reminds me of 'Pink Perfection' with white mottling. Send me an e-mail and I will scan and e-mail it to you if you are interested.

If you have this one, you are very lucky. Hope this helps!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here