Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomasaki

The Camellia that Never Bloomed

tomasaki
19 years ago

Help! I have a Camellia that my Mother-in Law gave me and it has never bloomed. I think it had buds on it when she bought it about four years ago, but I've haven't seen one since. I figured maybe it just needed time, but now it's going on it's fifth year. It looks heathly, it gets new growth every year, even though it hasn't grown much, but why doesn't want to bloom?

It's the only Camellia I have in garden, so I have nothing to compare it to. I planted it in a section that gets two to three hours of sun in the morning, and maybe a touch or two in the afternoon. I have tried fertilizing it from time to time with acid type fertilizer...

I'm thinking of moving it to a different part of my garden That gets more sun, or maybe even try potting it. What do you think?

The variety is C. Japonica, 'Kramer's Supreme'. Thank you for any suggestions you can make!

Comments (9)

• steve_nj
    19 years ago

Maybe you're overfertilizing it with nitrogen. Try not fertilizing next year.

• anniesgarden
    19 years ago

I have no idea why, but the Camellia that never bloomed in our suburban Philadelphia backyard is blooming beautifully at our South Jersey shore house. It's planted in very sandy soil and we do absolutely nothing to it. It is well protected and gets full sun.

• tomasaki
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks for your responses. I went ahead and moved my Camellia to a spot that gets more sun. I've read they like shade, but the spot I had it in was really shady, so maybe a little more sun will help. I will also try fertilizing it more with acid enriched fertilizer (I only tried fertilizing it a handful of times in the past several years, Steve NJ, so I don't think I was over fertilizing it...).

Anyway, even if it doesn't bloom it looks better where it is with just it's green foliage.

I will report back if things start changing for the better, or worse!

Thanks again.

• vetivert8
    19 years ago

If it grew from a seed instead of a cutting it can take up to seven years before it will start flowering, even part-way reliably. Some are precocious but others...

There were about five seedlings around a much larger plant in our garden. We gave one to a friend and she complained that it hadn't flowered after three years from being transplanted. A larger one, about three foot tall, finally flowered this year, about seven years from seed. A further two were about eighteen inches high and had healthy buds until I dug them out for moving elsewhere. Very variable.

As your one is named I would expect it to flower sooner - and the change of site may well do that for you.

Some Camellias do like shade but, in our version of zone 9, the japonicas do fine in full sun, even out in pastures. The top leaves get sunscald but the shrubs flower reliably, provided their roots stay cool and fed. Protection from hot afternoon sun is appreciated, though.

• Ron_B
    19 years ago

The short intervals of several years being discussed here are nothing in the life of a shrub that may live for centuries.

You are confused by the fact that it had flowers when purchased, but none since. This is common. Apparently growers bring on premature bloom of small specimens with nursery cultural practices, with the plant reverting to blooming at a normal size after being purchased and given ordinary care. It will probably start budding again within a few years.

Shade is definitely preferable, flowers of camellias exposed to much sun at flowring time are prone to frost injury. I don't think full shade will interfere with flowering significantly, whereas a good frost can spoil much of the bloom for a year. And leaf color is decidedly better with less exposure than more.

The above remarks apply to Camellia japonica, the S. sasanqua does like a warmer, sunnier position. In PNW it does esp. well against a wall, with an overhang to protect the flowers from rain and frost.

• winterose
    19 years ago

Does it set buds and not open them, or it sets no buds?

Do you get good growth on it or is it just "sitting still". If it is sitting still it might be lack of enough sun, or water. Since camellias don't need much food, (it's nice but they bloom without it) I don't think that's it. If you fertilize them heavily at the wrong time, you can cause them to drop their buds. I think a lot of the chemical fertilizers are too strong and should be diluted about half strength but I do know people who use them full strength and their plants are fine.

Some of my camellias hardly set any buds this year (just one or two buds on a plant, what a disapointment) but I don't feel so bad because the folks at Nuccios (originators of Nuccios Gem, Nuccios Pearl, Nuccios Bella Rosa, etc.) also said thay had a lousy bud set this year for no known reason.

Some of my other camellias set a ton of buds, esp. Koto No Kaori, a scented camellia which is already blooming. I also have a Sawadas dream that since I got it 2 years ago has set a bunch of buds and refuses to open a single one of them.

• keith424
    19 years ago

I have a camellia that has lots of buds, but never seems to bloom. I had it in a pot under a Dogwood tree but recently moved it to a sunnier location and put it in the ground. It still has all those buds but they just don't want to open. What am I doing wrong?

• PeaBee4
    19 years ago

keith, it's too early for a lot of camellia buds to open. Be patient. If the buds are there, they will open. Now, if it has buds every year, and they NEVER open, but dry up or fall off, then something is wrong.

• hemlady
    19 years ago

I have one camellia in my garden - one of many - that never blooms. The reason is that it is sited underneath a large tree that has a squirrel's nest in it. The squirrels eat every bloom off of that shrub. I have never yet seen a bloom in fifteen years, although the rest of my camellias bloom just fine.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022
More Discussions