Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nolefan_2006

White Doves / Mine-no-yuki

nolefan_2006
11 years ago

I'd like to plant a hedge of sasanquas in my front yard, west facing, full sun. I have some way overgrown ligustrum there (about 12 feet tall) and I'd love to get rid of them (not a fan at all). I ran across a beautiful picture of Mine-no-yuki (snow on the mountain, snow on the ridge) camellias in the form of a long hedge and they were absolutely striking with a blanket of snow whte petals on the ground under the plants. So, I've been trying to learn more about this variety. I have heard that they go by both names (White Doves and Mine-no-yuki). Tonight, I saw on the Monrovia website that White Doves is credited with originating at Nuccio's nurseries.

So, this brings me to my question. Mine-no-yuki is an old Japanese variety. Is it really the same as White Doves (and why does Monrovia credit Nuccio for it http://www.monrovia.com/plant-catalog/plants/669/white-doves-camellia.php#.UG_T17RYXzI )? If not, what's the difference between the two? Do they grow at the same rate?

Comments (12)

• nolefan_2006
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is the picture I found on the web. Credit to http://scouthort.blogspot.com/2009/11/tried-and-true-mine-no-yuki-camellia.html

Stunning, I think!

• luis_pr
    11 years ago

Update...

It seems the information on the website was an error. I just received a reply to your question:

"Dear Mr. Lluch, You are correct in that Camellia 'White Doves' is the name given to Camellia Mine-No-Yuki here in the United States.

I checked with the folks at Nuccio's Nursery and they did not originate this plant, so we will correct our data base.

Thank you for bringing this discrepancy to our attention.

Best regards, Gilbert Resendez, Customer Care at Monrovia"

Good catch nolefan_2006,
    Luis

• nolefan_2006
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jeff and Luis,
    Thanks for your help. I'm sorry to have caused such a stir. The bad news is that no one in Jax carries this variety. The good news is that I found a nursery in Orlando that does, so we're heading that way on Tuesday. And, since I have confirmation that they're definitely the same variety all systems should be go. Wish me luck.
    Brad

• nolefan_2006
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jeff,
    You mentioned magnoliaeflora. Do you have any experience with this plant? I like it, but really don't have room for it. But since that's never stopped me before....

I have read that it is compact growing, but I really don't know what that means. I thought all camellias, given enough time and no pruning, became tree-like. What's your experience with magnoliaeflora? Very pretty blossom that looks like it has very different appearances, based on the pics I've seen on the web. I found several nurseries in Jax that are carrying it...
    Thanks,
    Brad

• jeff_al
    11 years ago

brad,
    much of what i have read about that cultivar describes it as moderately growing, which i take to refer to the growth rate rather than size.
    a gardenweb forum poster from several years ago ('05) described one in the mobile, al area, estimated to be 75 years of age, that was 15' tall and wider than that so given enough time, this one will get large in a suitable environment.
    i no longer have one. lost it several years ago, most likely due to drought and lack of attention on my part.
    if it were locally available to me, i would definitely want one. i really like the color and flower form. my plant was pretty difficult to find back then and i never see it offered locally.

• nolefan_2006
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So...
    If I have 30 feet of space in which to create a White Doves hedge and I'm a patient person, how far apart would you space them. I'm assuming that the nursey will have 5 gallon plants. I didn't specifically ask, but odds are high. I'm trying to decide how many to purchase. I'm going for the ultimate look of the picture I posted above.
    Thanks,
    Brad

• jeff_al
    11 years ago

plant 6 of them on 6' centers or 7 shrubs on 5' centers if you want them to grow together to form a hedge. if individuals, place them on centers approaching their mature, projected width of 8'.

• nolefan_2006
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jeff,
    Thanks for the advice and tips. I will probably buy the White Doves. I want the magnoliaeflora, too. Just don't have anywhere to put it... That may not stop me...

Can't wait til Tuesday!
    Brad

• atlantis
    11 years ago

Try Walmart. I just found mine no yuki there today

• nolefan_2006
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Atlantis,
    That's a great idea. May I ask, are you located in north Florida, do you mind telling me how large the camellias are, and for how much they're selling?
    Thanks,
    Brad

• atlantis
    11 years ago

I'm in central Florida.
    Walmart was selling them for $10. Smaller containers but really good looking plants.
    They only had 2 varieties though "Mine No Yuki" and "Stephanie Golden". They might have had more that were sold out I don't know.

Sponsored
BME Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structure
More Discussions