Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How late into year can I plant camellias?

Posted by tracey_b 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 2, 11 at 9:05

I live outside Raleigh, NC, and was given about 40 camellias (I have a 1.5 acre, wooded lot). That's a lot to plant! It's already Oct., and I was wondering how late into the year I can "safely" (for the plant) do it?

Thank you.
Tracey

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How late into year can I plant camellias?

Fall is a good time for planting camellias, Tracey. See the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Planting camellias by the ACS

o

I agree, fall is perfect. Don't twiddle your thumbs, though....it would be good to have them established a little bit before the coldest temperatures of winter visit your area.

That's quite a windfall of camellias to come your way! Do you know what kind they all are? What size?

o

Tracey,
Wow!
40 Camellia holes!
I hope they are all small.

o

hi Tracy, You should be able to plant all fall and winter. Unless your ground freezes. I don't think it does where you are but just so you know. Ideally get them all planted before spring so the roots can begin growing and they can be better established before summer. I highly recommend the $5.00 plant $10.00 hole method myself but some will disagree. But be sure not to plant them to deep, mulch and water well. You didn't say if the were potted or fresh dug. Please let us all know and good luck and happy digging.
James in Florida

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here