Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gaalan

Anyone have a Higo?

GAAlan
19 years ago

I ordered four plants from Nuccios a couple years ago including one Higo camellia named Ohkan. My plant had it's first ever flower(only one) in March this year and was it ever fantastic. Those flared stamens, the defining feature of these plants, were beautiful! It may take a long while, but this plant is going to be fabulous down the road. Anyone else growing a Higo?

Comments (14)

• forrestal
    19 years ago

Alan... Like you, I have only one and it is growing like a beanstalk so strong in new growth it is producing few blooms, but the plant is beautiful in the garden. Its name is 'Tancho.'

{{gwi:513716}}

• GAAlan
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Forrest thats a great flower. I have always liked single flowered camellias the best, so a garden full of Higos would be heaven for me! I guess the reason Higos aren't more widely available is their shyness to flower, because they lack for nothing else in garden worthiness.

Do you know of local source for Higos? I'd have a lot more if I could find them. Nuccios sent a letter this summer saying they weren't even printing a catalog because of the Sudden Oak Death mess in California. Their selection is unparalleled, but frankly I cannot afford to order from them very much. The four plants I got a couple years ago cost over $75 with everything.

• plantaholic
    19 years ago

i have a couple of higos in my collection. i really like them. i have 'happy higo' and 'ozeki'. i got the HH from nuccios and the ozeki from a local home depot.

• GAAlan
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hayes, what colors are those Higos? They really are a neat group of camellias. I can't believe you found a Higo at Home Depot!! Never could I do that here.

I tell you something else that amazes me, that you reaffirm, the fantastic selection of plants at Lowes and Home Depots in Alabama! LoraxDave has posted on other forums about some really good plants he has found. These two chains usually are very limited in their offerings in my area.

• rdturner
    19 years ago

I did a search and came up with this site. They have one higo for 12 and 18 dollars.

I am in zone 6. do you think one would work for me? This one says 7 but I may try to push it.

Here is a link that might be useful: CamForest

• GAAlan
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hello RD. I must be missing something on the Camellia Forest site because I don't see any Higos. I have corresponded with the owner and he has told me he used to sell a few, but they didn't sell so well so he stopped. Where on the site do you see a Higo? That would be great if he had one on there he forgot about!

• rdturner
    19 years ago

(NEW)`Irihi no umi' (zone 7) "Sea at Sunset" (trans.) has large vivid red burgundy single Higo flowers. Sometimes the flowers even have a bluish cast. The foliage a very nice dark glossy green and it has a good compact form. $12.00 and $18.00

Once you are on the site use "Find" on your browser under "edit". Then type in Higo.

RD

• LoraxDave
    19 years ago

Alan, unfortunately the HD and Lowe's selections are variable. My theory is that they periodically have knowledgeable managers who order some cool plants. But then they move on elsewhere, or revert to ordering boring stuff when the cool stuff doesn't sell. Also, most of the HD's and Lowe's sell more than their fair share of the usual ho-hum suspects, including things not well-suited to our climate such as Yews.

• GAAlan
    Original Author
    19 years ago

RD, I believe that description may mean the flower is Higo-like. I don't think that 'Irihi no umi' is an actual Higo, more, it is possibly a cultivar of sasanqua. I have a book about camellias that has a picture of it and the stamens don't have the typical look of a Higo. Also the book puts it in the sasanqua section. It is a very nice flower nonetheless. I think you have now inspired me to order it!

Dave, you may be exactly correct. The closest HD to me opened about 5-10 years back and at that time they always had a fabulous collection of much better plants. There was an outside gardening manager who was very knowledgeable. He has LONG since moved elsewhere. I am comforted to hear that the stores in your area are mortal!

• longriver
    19 years ago

Besides the simple and dramatic display, some Higo camellia produce a decent fragrance, such as Nioi-Fubuki, Tama-Ikari and seedling of Andoh, etc. Higo is a flower form of C japonica with rigid defined standards.

GAAlan you should have Ohkan, do you?

• camellia_jim
    12 years ago

I have 40 varieties of Higo camellias.
    I am willing to swap cuttings or scions.

• tamararly
    12 years ago

Jim, I would like to see your list, is that possible to show it here?

Thanks in advance!
    tamararly

• luis_pr
    12 years ago

Or post pictures of the Higo Camellias in bloom?

• JimInskip
    12 years ago

Hi Camellia Jim

I also have a good collection of Higo Camellias and would like to exchange material.

Do you have a list? and how can I contact you?

Best regards from UK.

Sponsored
More Discussions