Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
timintexas

How about suggestions for fragrance?

timintexas
20 years ago

Ok everybody......I know of only one fragrant Sasanqua. I found it in the garden center I manage. It was older than dust and stuffed into the back of the greenhouse. It had been there so long that the lable had long since faded out. It is, I belive, a hybred and it smells strongly(to me) of cloves.. Anyway, it now lives in my yard. The question is..are there any varieties out there that have a good fragrance that I can order in for my customers? I orderd a variety called "Ak-sent" from my supplier. He was rather vauge as to if it had any fragrance. I just assumed, with that name, it must have some.

Suggestions??

Thanks-

Tim

Comments (19)

• LoraxDave
    20 years ago

I have a very mediocre sense of smell. I can barely detect fragrance on any Camellias I have been around, even ones that are supposed to be fragrant like 'Scentsation.' For fragrance, I need knock-you-down shrubs like Gardenias, Tea Olive, Calycanthus, etc.

• Ron_B
    20 years ago

Sasanquas I encounter here perfume a fairly large area around them, especially when the weather is quiet and the shrub is large. (Note that the 2 cultivars mentioned so far in this thread are not sasanqua camellias). They do vary though:

"just about all the sasanquas are scented, some quite strongly...some camellia fanciers profess to dislike the scent, which more truly resembles a freshly opened packet of tea than the so-called tea-scented roses do" (The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Camellias)

• starshadow
    20 years ago

A very nice sasanqua type for fragrance is Fragrant Pink. It has a nice "bubble gum" type fragrance. I found only one at a local nursery, but was able to order others at the Camellia Forest. I don't see it on their website, but was able to order it after inquiring by phone.

• luis_pr
    20 years ago

Hana Jiman
    Kramer's Supreme
    Stephanie Golden

• luis_pr
    20 years ago

Oops! You wanted sasanquas only so take out Kramer's.

• plantaholic
    20 years ago

'daydream' is fragrant....but is typically not mentioned in books/lists as being so.

• gato_viejo
    20 years ago

I find my Pink Snow is fragrant, but, as much as I love the flowers, I don't care for the scent. It smells like funeral flowers to me.
    I mention it because everyone's nose percieves smell differently and someone else might like it.
    Mone doesn't perfume the area, I have to get my nose right down in the flower to smell it, but there is a definite fragrance.

• LoraxDave
    20 years ago

OK - I take it back. My pathetic nose CAN detect the fragrance on C. sasanqua. I was browsing through a batch of 'Setsugekka' last night and really caught the fragrance. Very pleasant! It seems like 'Setsugekka' may be stronger than some of the others.

Just another reason to plant gazillions of Camellias!

• mrbee
    20 years ago

'Cinnamon Cindy' is a miniature pink hybrid which is very fragrant. Smells like cinnamon of course.

• david_5311
    20 years ago

The sasanqua 'Rainbow', available from Nuccios, is quite fragrant. Nice bicolor large single flowers too.

• angelsmell
    19 years ago

I just bought my first camelia today, when I smelled it in the store I couldn't believe how pretty it smelled, I just had to buy it, it was strong smelling. It was Hana Jiman.
    Very pretty flower white with pink edges. It didn't smell like cloves, it was a very soft pretty perfume smell. FRESH! Anyone else know of the new fragrant ones?

• longriver
    19 years ago

May be three years from now. Camellia gardeners in US might have a chance to buy a C. species called C. hunanica from special nurseries. It has small, white, neat single form flower. A small graft plant will produce flowers readily. The branches are loaded with flower buds. The bloom has a clean fragrance. Very exciting.

• longriver
    19 years ago

TimH: You mentioned Ace-scent camellia, a fragrant camellia which was developed by Dr. W. L.Ackerman of the U S National Arboretum. He has been one of the top camellia hybriziders on fragrance in U S. He is also known to be the best in developing many hardy camellia hybrids.

• savannaht
    16 years ago

I am looking for a fragrant sasanqua with and upright growth habit -- and does anyone know a good reliable mailorder source? I love the way sasanquas drop their petals. This year in North Louisiana the bloom has been wonderful and I covet all that I see!

• mlb86
    16 years ago

Camellia Forest Nursery has a new sasanqua hybrid named Scented Snow that is both fragrant and upright. The fragrance is described as being very sweet. I have ordered from them before and I was very satisfied. I wish Scented Snow was hardy here in zone 6B. I wonder if the scent really is sweet and if it is less musky than that of other sasanquas. Has anyone out there sniffed Scented Snow? If so, please let us know what you thought of it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Camellia Forest Nursery

• nippersdad
    16 years ago

Savannah:
    You were asking about reliable mail order sources for sasanquas. I have to put in a plug for the National Arbor Day Society, here.

About ten years ago they sent us some pink sasanquas (I don't know their name); they all survived, are now about fourteen feet tall and are a magnet for bees of all kinds. I, too, love the carpet of pink petals and they seem to bloom from Thanksgiving to Christmas most years.

• parker25mv
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I got to smell 'Lady Campbell' for the first time; before that all the other Camellias I had seen did not have any fragrance. It had an amazing smell. The fragrance was very similar to gardenia but more musky and aromatic, like sandalwood incense, and somewhat reminiscent of cloves.

• Parker Turtle
    6 years ago

Edit to the above post: that camellia was probably Kramer's Supreme, not lady campbell. it was at a chinese garden and i returned and looked up the cultivar name on a list

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH
More Discussions