Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeffreytraynor

Concern with suffocating camelia

jeffreytraynor
11 years ago

I have a Camellia that is espaliered on a lattice against a wall. We recently had some landscaping done that resulted in the ground level being raised by 6-8 inches.

Any suggestions on how I can prevent from suffocating the camelia? I'm assuming that if I keep the roots deep under ground that it will suffocate. Should I find some sort of semi-circle structure to keep the raised dirt bed away from the stem of the plant? If so, how wide does the semi-circle need to be?

Thank you in advance

Comments (3)

• jeff_al
    11 years ago

yes, you are on the right path with your thoughts. camellias are very sensitive to this type of change.
    a landscape term used for trees (and shrubs, also) in areas of grade change is a dry well.
    see the attached publication for information.
    i would go past the drip line since your shrub is so close to the house. maybe a semi-circle about 3' out from the house and the width of the shrub along the house.
    you could use stacked brick or other flat material that would keep the soil from migrating into the existing surface root zone. probably would benefit from a flexible, solid barrier behind those like metal flashing or similar.
    maybe some preformed materials exist that could be useful.
    some other posters with more knowledge of this treatment may have some different thoughts.

Here is a link that might be useful: construction damage

• User
    11 years ago

Jeff,
    I don't think I would want to have that soil that high on by foundation like that.
    it looks like trouble, especailly since you are in SC like me and wow, the termites are really terrible here.
    By the way, your camellia is absolutely gorgeous!
    It takes years to get a camellia to grow that big on your frame.
    i wouldn't have that dirt like that, I would change it.
    Also, that soil looks like it is clay, which really holds water. Termites LOVE water.
    In any case, beautiful camellia.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

I was going to say......the camellia is the LEAST of your problem. Yikes.

Sponsored
More Discussions