Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to germinate Camellia seed?

Posted by 5862xwg none (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 8, 13 at 14:26

I'm obsessed with growing plants from seed. I know they will be slow growing and possibly will never flower but I just like the feeling of accomplishment. Anyway, I'm new to Camellia. I've been growing Adenium and I feel like Camellia is on the opposite side of succulent. Does anyone have any experience germinating Camellia seeds and caring for seedling during spring? I live in KY Zone 6.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to germinate Camellia seed?

I put them in a container and cover with 1 inch of soil. Then I cover them with 1 foot of leaves during the winter. In the spring I remove the leaves and they start to germinate in April. I grow them in the pot the first year and the next year I plant them in the garden. Camellia Forest Nursery has lots of seeds for sale of different species.

o

Thanks, mrlynn

How about germinating them in a container? I don't have a yard to put them in.

o

You may find this link to be useful- I did. Over the last 2 months, I planted hundreds of seeds gathered from plants around the neighborhood & in our yard- some are already leafing out, but most are still thinking about germinating...
http://camelliaexpress.wordpress.com/2011/07/10/growing-camellia-seed/

o

I think it helps to use a nail file (or something similar) to break through the outer seed coat.

o

Thanks for the link, vmr.

restoner, I heard people has used hammers to crack seed open.

For those who's grown camellia from seed, can you guys send a couple images? I want to wait until next spring to plant them but I can't wait to see what I'm dealing with. Thanks

o

My advice use a metal nut cracker to crack them open. Its the least time consuming, putting them under a light and misting for 48 hours i have not tried. But i am still getting results. My C. Sinensis seeds are a chinese veriaty. Alao purchased from camelliaforest.com i planted them after scarifying them and soaking for 32 hours i put them in my frigde after for 48 hours. The people at camellia forest recomended to me 30 days of cold stratifying to see noticeable results. But my seeds have already developed tap roots planted on the 3rd of november now its the 15th and they are already getting green on the seeds just getting ready to push. Thats pretty fast for camellia, so i would buy from them if you are wanting to have the best success.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here