Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbieberry

Can I plant my Camelia here??

gardenbug
12 years ago

My friend is gifting me a Camelia next weekend. So, I will be getting it into the ground asap. I have no idea what kind of Camelia this is but she says it has white flowers and dark green leaves. It is about 3 or 4 years old. I would like to plant it on the north west corner of my house. It would get morning shade and afternoon sun from about 1:00 onwards. I am in Zone 8b, Fraser Valley, BC. We have mild winters with lots of rain. I need your opinion on this location or what you would recommend. Thanks everyone.

Comments (7)

• ozzysboy
    12 years ago

Hi--I should think you can grow them there. My sister lives in Pacifica--just south of San Francisco with cool, wet conditions (although it does dry out, relatively speaking, in summer) and they grow very well there. Since it's cool there year-round, she grows them in her version of "full sun" which means sun after the morning fog burns off, maximizing sun by planting on west and south locations on her lot. Hope that helps!

-eric

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you ozzysboy.
    That is good to hear. Okay, I will be planting it on Friday.
    Thanks again for your help.

• jamesmaloy
    12 years ago

Hi Cadence, I do agree with Ozzy'sboy but I would just like to add one bit of information. That is please don't plant it really close to the house this plant can reach 30 feet in height and you don't want to be constantly pruning it off the house. I know you said you were planting it today but I just got online, I would say no less than 4 feet but 6 would be better It will fill out quickly. James In Florida Good luck

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you jamesmaloy. Well, I haven't planted it yet. It's been raining too much. Maybe the first of next week. Thanks for letting me know. My friend is giving it to me and she doesn't know what kind of camelia it is. She did say it is about 36" tall and is about 9 years old. I wonder if I posted a pic of it here, someone might be able to tell me what kind of Camelia it is. She says it has white flowers.

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Okay, I just received my Camelia today and it is planted. The tag was still on it. It is called Camelia Japonica (Lily Pons) it will have white flowers.

I planted it where it will get morning shade and late afternoon sun in the summer. It faces west. Will this be okay? Should I cover it with something like burlap on cold windy nights? What about fertilizing? Any help would be appreciated.

• jamesmaloy
    12 years ago

Hi Cadence, Again I am late checking post. About the covering with burlap. You are in the same zone as I am. The only time you would have to think about covering would be if the there was a predicted freeze coming and the buds were open or near to opening The freeze can kill the flower buds and flowers but other than that I would not think you would need to cover. Hope your lily pons is well.

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    12 years ago

jamesmaloy,

Hi James, my camelia(lily pons) is doing well so far, thank you so much for asking. At least I'm keeping it alive. I haven't covered with burlap yet, but I did notice she has dropped a few of her buds. I was told this was normal for this time of year. It saddens me to see them fall off. I haven't seen any blooms so far. The leaves and overall look of the plant is good. Thanks James.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths
More Discussions