Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Charlie Brown Camellia - Help!

Posted by tootercat CA (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 26, 08 at 15:23

We have a camellia in our front garden which gets early morning sun and then is shaded for the rest of the day. Hubby says it used to be so vibrant and beautiful (I came into his life after the camellia lol)and now it looks like it is dead except for the fact that there ARE leaves sprouting in various and sundry places. Do we prune back to where the green is or prune further and hope for reanimation in the hopefully not too distant future?
And more importantly if we do prune it - WHEN should we do it? I believe it is a winter/spring bloomer and the flowers are a beautiful pink/yellow..It is approximately 5 ft tall - maybe a little more - and 3 ft wide - 1 to
1-1/4" trunk

thanks for any and all help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Charlie Brown Camellia - Help!

Can you post a picture to better determine how to prune?

Can you explain what caused the problem? Watering issues?

Just as a f.y.i., minor pruning can be done at any time but heavier pruning is best done when the plant is dormant during Winter.

o
A.C.S. Link

Oops. Sorry, tootercat. I left out a pruning link to the American Camellia Society Website.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pruning Camellias, by the ACS

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here