Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does scale bother Camellias

Posted by nancyb724 z7 MD (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 9, 05 at 15:59

Hi - I have recently dug up and disposed of a variegated holly. I decided to get rid of it because of the scale I couldn't seem to get rid of. I would like to plant a camellia in the same spot, but am concerned about reinfecting a new plant. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Nancy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does scale bother Camellias

Yes, scale insects can infest camellia, though maybe not the same kind of scale. Best advice I could give would be to give your camellia the best growing conditions you can, do NOT over fertilize, keep well mulched. Keep an eye on the plant to catch a scale infestation before it gets to be bad. Oil sprays can quite effective in controlling scale insects.

Tea scale is probably the most common species on camellia, but others will find it tasty, too. Attached is a link showing a bad infestation of male and female tea scale on the underside of a camellia leaf. Image is much enlarged.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tea scale

o
RE: Does scale bother Camellias

If you got rid of the old plants, you got rid of the scale insects, but they are drawn to conditions that are warm and humid with low air circulation, so if those conditions are the same they may come back. Scale insects don't kill a camellia overnight (they slowly sap its energy from the leaves) but it is easily treatable. I recommend using "Ultra Fine" which now comes in a hose-end sprayer bottle in garden sections of most big box hardware stores. Spray the underside of the leaves well (especially the lower branches where the scale is most prevalent) about twice a year or as needed. It works on hollys too.

Ultra Fine is a non-toxic wax substance that suffocates the scale insects. For severe infestations you can mix some malathion or other insecticide with the Ultra-Fine as needed. Another remedy is Cygon, painted on the trunk during growing season -- it is a systemic insecticide, and you don't need much.

Give the camellia a try!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here