Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pod3

camelia sinensis

pod3
20 years ago

I'd be grateful for tea plants/seeds and will pay postage or have a trade list.

Comments (12)

• JJeane
    20 years ago

The horticulturist at American Camellia Society knows a source for tea plants and seed. Send him an email message.. there's a link on this web site.

Here is a link that might be useful: American Camellia Soceity

• wanda
    20 years ago

If any of your local nurseries carry plants from Suncrest, ask if they can order one for you.

wanda

• JJeane
    20 years ago

Camellia Forest in North Carolina sells seeds. Check out their web site to see if they sell tea plant seeds.

Here is a link that might be useful: Camellia Forest Nursery

• Randy Ritchie
    20 years ago

If you haven't gotten your seeds yet and like growing from seed, you can get them free from the government's site:

http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/tax_search.pl?

The order form can be found here:

http://www.ars-grin.gov/npgs/order.html

There's lots of stuff on the site; you have to check the accessions, then the availability, before you order, as not everything is available at any given time. You've already paid for it with your tax dollars, and don't even have to pay shipping. You can order up to 12 items per year per person per household.

Good luck, and let us know how you fare.

girlsaylor

• pod3
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I think I used to get replies Emailed to me and don't any longer. So, it's been awhile since I have gotten back to this post. But after a lengthy germination, I have three camelia seedlings from five seeds. Bugs don't seem to care for them, and they are very happy in their moist, richly composted soil under the shade cloth that protects them from the southern California sun.

I think tea seeds are no longer listed at the govt site, but what a neat link! Minutes ago, I just sent away for

Tobacco
    Sugarcane
    sugarbeet
    Rambutan
    pili nut
    peach palm
    papaya
    musa
    litchi
    longan
    guava
    carambola

Thanks alot!

• iloveoolong
    19 years ago

Am I correct in reading that this site listed above in previous posts, offers free seeds? If so, and I am also correct in reading that they offer other plant seeds as well, where do you go to search to see what they are offering? I hate to see that they are no longer offering the Camellia Sinensis as this is what I am dying to grow! The site is a little confusing to me so this is why I am asking which part to go to in order to search for the seeds. Any help would be appreciated. Also is anyone here successfully growing Camellia Sinensis in NC? Thanks so much!
    Jenn

• Heathen1
    19 years ago

I tried growing some C.sinensis seeds from a very reputable British firm and had no luck, and I winter sowed, due to my weather being hot in the summer....:o(

• forrestal
    19 years ago

Don't give up, try this quick and easy method! :o) Place the seeds in a large ziploc bag of moist sphagnum moss. Zip it up, and leave the bag outside where it is warm. Voila!! If the seeds are viable, they will germinate. Once the seeds have germinated (typically 2-3 weeks) you can move them to a pot. In transferring to the pot, be sure the seeds are not planted too deeply, put them right at the surface of the soil, tap root down of course. Make sure they get watered. Some people pinch off the tip end of the tap root to promote root branching.

Another key is timing. Right now is when the seed pods are maturing on the bush, and the seeds would normally release and drop to the ground to germinate naturally in the early autumn or maybe next spring if the ground stays moist. If the seeds are ever allowed to dry out, they won't germinate. So if you order by mail, or if someone gives you some, and you aren't sure how fresh they are, it may help to soak them in water overnight before planting them (or germinating them in the ziploc).

I think winter is too late because they will have dried out by then unless they were kept stored in a cool moist environment. Some people have had success storing seeds in the refrigerator in a ziploc until later. But by far the surest method is to germinate the seeds just as soon as they mature (which is this time of year). Your "take" rate will be much higher. Give it another try !!

• Heathen1
    19 years ago

Thanks! I will!

• pigpen_
    19 years ago

I have a couple of established plants from cuttings taken a couple of years ago that grow extraordinarily slowly. They recieve consistent water and filtered sun. Anyone know some things I can do to speed them up?

• Euphoria526
    19 years ago

I'd also like to try that free seed thing from the government site, how do I find out what seeds they have available? Anyone know?

• iloveoolong
    19 years ago

I tried to get free seeds from that site but the form is too complicated I didn't know what to select as far as where to get the plants from. Plus when I emailed them for info on availability on orange trees they said the site was really for organizations and not for individuals. So I was pretty upset! I sure would love to have some camellia sinensis for free lol.

Sponsored
More Discussions