Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maamy

will a camellia do well under a wisteria

maamy
9 years ago

I need to move a camellia that is going to be too big for the place I first planted it. it is about 3 feet tall now, and should not be hard to transplant, but I have to choose between two locations. The one that I like more is at the base of a large wisteria, where it would get partial shade, but some afternoon sun. The other spot is shadier and woodier, but the camellia would not shine so much there. Any advice?

Comments (9)

• Vicissitudezz
    9 years ago

Both locations sound fine in terms of light, though if "some afternoon sun" is direct, early afternoon sun, your camellia's leaves may get sunburned. "Shadier and woodier" sounds more like the native environment for all camellias, but they do need at least some sunlight for best bloomage.

Too much dense shade reduces bloom, too much sun can scald the leaves or dry out the plant too much.

Wisteria is one of the least well-behaved plants in my neck of the woods, so I would be extremely cautious about planting anything I wanted to survive near a wisteria. In your situation, if your wisteria is well-behaved/ well-controlled, you may not have any problems.

Another thing to consider is exposure to wind. If you have windy weather at times, which location will offer more protection?

I hope this helps- I'm sure others will chime in with other things to consider.

Good luck with the "big move",
    Virginia

• maamy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

hmmm. There would be the possibility of sun scald as the plant grew bigger, and came out from under the canopy of the wisteria but not for a while, and conceivably I could keep pruning it to stay under my pretty well behaved wisteria. At the other site it would be between two elderberries that are now about 5 feet tall. They are in the dappled shade of a live oak, with thinned native maples behind that. One of the elderberries flowers freely, the other very little.

• maamy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

what I worry about most is the root system competition between the wisteria and the camellia. Any thoughts?

• luis_pr
    9 years ago

Wisterias can have some huge root systems, especially if they get old. Of course, camellias can grow for more than 400 years so I bet they too would develop a large root system by then. :0) Lordy Lord! The best way to answer the question is for you to go into that area and dig a hole and observe how many roots you find in that area.

• Vicissitudezz
    9 years ago

The dappled shade Elderberry location sounds ideal.

The wisteria won't provide shade for very long, and is just so competitive by nature that if the roots don't crowd out the camellia, the vines might eventually.

I understand that you might want it to be more visible, but it will probably be more attractive in dapple shade than out in full sun. A sasanqua might be a better choice for a sunny spot, and will really put on a show in the fall...

You didn't mention what type of camellia you need to move- do you know the variety's name?

Best regards,
    Virginia

• maamy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It is Camellia Howard Asper. I was given it by a friend of Howard Asper, who inherited all his camellias when he passed away! I have had it four years. Here is the description I found: 'Very large peony-form, salmon pink flowers with loose upright petals. Vigorous spreading upright growth. Large heavy foliage. Especially good under glass. (Aubrey Harris Hybrid Award of American Camellia Society - First Award.)
    Parentage: reticulata Lionhead x japonica Coronation
    Ultimate Height: 2.00 meters after 10 years'

I would say the flowers are deeper than salmon pink, and it has been a slow grower here in Northern CA. but the flowers are stunning--6-8 inches across.

Here is a link that might be useful: Camellia Howard Asper

• maamy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You have all convinced me to go with putting it with the elderberries. I really appreciate your thoughtful responses!

• Vicissitudezz
    9 years ago

That's a good-looking flower. How cool that you have a connection to its namesake; I love plants that have interesting histories.

I'm glad you're putting it with the elderberries where it will be safe from wisteria tentacles... I mean tendrils... no, I really do mean tentacles.

Don't plant it too deep, and be sure it doesn't dry out during its first year in its new location. After that, camellias are fairly self-sufficient and may only need supplemental water during prolonged periods without rain.

Virginia

• kittymoonbeam
    9 years ago

I think you would have to consider when the leaves all drop and expose your camellia to full sun conditions.