Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
okintos

It is a time of Camellias

okintos
15 years ago

Already it is a time of camellias.

I present the first flower of my camellias ( 2008 October ) . It is a Camellia japonica Cv. 'Angelina Vieira'.

Also it has bloomed already, one of my favorite camellias. The Camellia japonica Cv. ' Lady Hume's Blush '. It is in the garden of the Island of La Toja .

Regards.

Daniel D.F. OKintos

{{gwi:514360}}

Camellia japonica Cv.'LADY HUME'S BLUSH'

Sym.:'CAMURÃA','FLAVESCENS','CARNEA','INCARNATA','BUFF'.

{{gwi:514362}}

{{gwi:514363}}

{{gwi:514365}}

{{gwi:514367}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Gallaecia Fulget Camellia Show 2008

Comments (33)

• luis_pr
    15 years ago

The white one, Lady Hume's Blush, reminds me of one that I grow here by the name C. Japonica White By The Gate. This shrub would look fantastic planted besides C. Angelina Vieira, okintos.

• longriver
    15 years ago

Signor Okintos: Your place must be slightly warmer than mine. I am sure that the weather there must be very comfortable.

In mid-December, my camellias shall start to show the color. Late Feb to early March is the time in full bloom.

• florence_2007
    15 years ago

As usual, the blooms and scenery are beautiful.
    I have blooms only on one of my Silver Chalice in Louisiana and it usually blooms later in December.
    Makes me wonder if it is, indeed, Silver Chalice.

Thanks for sharing

• okintos
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello. I place here a photography of several forms of camellia ' Lady Hume's Blush '. I have seen Stirling Macoboy's book ( The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Camellias), and do not find this one flower. It is strange that does not mention in this one magnificent book, because this one Camellia, she was one of the first ones in coming to West, from China. Lady Amelia Hume, bought it in 1806, for his garden.

In a lot of varieties of Camellia, they are not all the equal flowers. An ideal form is chosen, to be easier to identify the variety. In case of ' Lady Hume's Blush ', there was chosen the flower that has the petals overlapped in perfect Hexagon. But in the tree of ' Lady Hume's Blush ', there appear many forms of flower that are more common than the hexagonal form. It is possible to see in the photographic composition.

{{gwi:511437}}
    {{gwi:514370}}

It is possible, that is the climate, which allows an anticipated flowering. Many Camellias japonicas already are in flowering in October and November. It thinks LongRiver, I also believe that it is like that.

It is allows that in the Exhibition of Camellia sasanqua, that is celebrated in the first days of December, the presence of Camellia japonica is very important.

I do not know the varieties of Camellia that Luis and Florence mention. Probably, the Atlantic, humid and moderate climate which we have in Galicia, without colds or excessive heats, provokes anticipated flowerings.

These days already I see many camellias with flowers. Some of these varieties, they are really early. It is the case of the Camellia japonica 'Ortigueira', of which I will put one day of these a photography since today, it is in full flowering.

My 'Yuletide' already has begun the flowering. Another year any more, I will not have flowers of 'Yuletide' in Christmas.

Regards.
    Daniel D.F. OKintos
    {{gwi:514373}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Camellia sasanqua Show 2007 BOIRO

• okintos
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Some Camellias, already they are in flowering from October. It is the case of the Camellia japonica "Ortigueira". It is in full flowering. I did the photographies on November 4. When I did the photography with both camellias, there was few light and the color does not estimate of this one variety. In the Optional LINK, I show you the place where this one originated variety.
    Regards.
    Daniel Dominguez oKintos
    {{gwi:514376}}

{{gwi:514379}}

{{gwi:514382}}

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:514357}}

• snasxs
    15 years ago

Beautiful and healthy!

I like the first two pictures. With the image of an old Catholic church, the blooms look so Spanish!!!

I love plants to adopt cultivators cultures.

• okintos
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello.
    In November they begin the flowering many white Camellias. The first ones, in beginning to bloom in October, are " Lady Hume's Blush " and "Anemonaeflora Alba ". In November they have begun already, "Alba Plena", " Alba Simplex", "Morning Glow" and "Shirobotan".

(The good "Link" to see the garden of Camellias of "Ortigueira".Pazo de Santa Cruz de Ribadulla)
    Regards.
    Daniel D.F. oKintos
    {{gwi:514385}}

{{gwi:514388}}

{{gwi:514390}}

{{gwi:514392}}

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Ortigueira' Pazo de Santa Cruz

• sandy93
    15 years ago

Hi, I am a new member live in centeral Texas and have just discovered camellias this year. I have trouble finding them other than Home Depot. Does anyone have a good internet order address who will ship to indiduals in USA?
    I planted a Shishigashira and used 50% peat moss and 50% good top soil and mixed the two by volumn, it looked like all peat moss when mixed. Do you think I should pull it up and use more soil? Only been in the ground 3 weeks.

• okintos
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am sorry. I cannot help him. Do a general question to the forum. I do not know the market USA of sale of flowers.

Between November and December, the Camellia X vernalis 'GINRYÃ', is in his better moment of flowering. Explosive.
    Regards.
    Daniel D. F. OKintos
    {{gwi:514394}}
    {{gwi:514395}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Camellias in 'Pazo de Ribadulla'

• okintos
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year 2009.

In the middle of December, they have begun to bloom, two varieties of Camellia japonica, which are two of my favorites. ÂCITY OF VIGOÂ and ÂDONA HERZILA DE FREITAS MAGALHAÃSÂ.
    Regards.
    Daniel D. F. OKintos

{{gwi:514396}}

{{gwi:514397}}

{{gwi:514398}}

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Pazo de Ribadulla' Camellias Garden

• okintos
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The Camellia 'POMPONE', is a very ancient variety. She was one of the first ones in coming to West (1820). It is a very common variety in Galicia. Here, very old specimens live. It blooms in the same months that ' ALBA PLENA ', ' ALBA SIMPLEX ' and ' LADY HUME'S BLUSH '. The most abundant flowering takes place in December and January. The exemplary centenary old men, have always mutations roses.
    Regards.
    Daniel D.F.oKintos

Camellia japonica Cv. ÂPOMPONIA Pazo de Zárate.
    {{gwi:514399}}

Camellia japonica Cv.ÂPOMPONIAÂ
    {{gwi:514401}}

Camellia japonica Cv. ÂPOMPONIAÂ Pazo de VELÃN
    {{gwi:514402}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Exhibitions of Camellias 2009 SEC

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

>Does anyone have a good internet order address who will ship to indiduals in USA?Start by looking at the web sites of Nuccio's and Camellia Forest.

>Do you think I should pull it up and use more soil?Pull it up, dig out the amended backfill and refill with same soil that is around planting hole. Shake off loose potting soil and replant immediately, watering in well. Mulch after planting and keep watered during dry spells.

Do not plant in pockets of liberally amended backfill or replaced soil surrounded by unamended original soil. Dig out and replace entire bed with good topsoil, place good topsoil on top of existing soil without mixing the two together, and plant in new layer of good topsoil, or plant in existing soil without modification.

Planting in pockets of differently textured material frequently results in problems with how water moves into and out of the liberally amended planting hole. You want the same soil texture throughout the entire potential rooting area. With trees and shrubs the most practical approach is to plant in the existing soil, without modification (other than loosening of the soil and fertilization, if needed), using mulch to maintain an enhanced rooting environment instead of amendments.

Planting stock grown in soilless potting medium into soil has the same pitfalls as planting in liberally amended planting holes. This is why much or most of the potting soil should be shaken or washed off at planting. Do not let the roots dry out when doing this.

You can also inspect for deformed roots by bare-rooting at planting time, and make corrections. If you find a tight knot or square of main roots right at the base of the stem* the specimen cannot be salvaged and should be planted temporarily, as a stock plant for cuttings that you use to grow your own replacement plants with non-deformed roots.

*Very frequent among camellias offered at garden centers here

• okintos
    Original Author
    15 years ago

In January, many Camellias have begun his(her, flowering. As "Pomponia" and "Alba Plena", already they are blooming others, from November.
    Regards.
    Daniel D.F. okintos

POMPONIA
    {{gwi:514403}}

KOU-OTOME
    {{gwi:514404}}

ALBA PLENA
    {{gwi:503881}}

PRESTON ROSE
    {{gwi:514405}}

BLOOD OF CHINA
    {{gwi:506945}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Camelia show calendar 2009 (Spain)

• okintos
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Camellia x williamsii Cv. ÂMary Phoebe TaylorÂ
    It is a magnificent Camellia. I recommend her to you. Very nice, very big, very strong. It has the flowering from January until ends of March.
    Regards.
    Daniel D.F. oKintos

{{gwi:509624}}

{{gwi:514406}}

Spanish Camellia Society SEC

Here is a link that might be useful: SEC (Spanish Camellia Society)

• okintos
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The time of camellias, also it is a time of exhibitions of flowers of camellia. A good epoch, to know, the great variety of you will cultivate that they have the fans of the camellias.
    Regards.
    Daniel D.F.oKintos
    Camellia japonica Cv.ÂDona Herzilla IIÂ
    {{gwi:514408}}

Domaio exposición 2009-02-16
    {{gwi:514410}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Camellia Show DOMAIO 2009

• okintos
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The Gardens of Galicia are beautiful. The full flowering of the Camellias happens. On Saturday I did this one photo from the street. I put the link to the photos of the Exhibition XLV International of the Camellia.
    Regards.
    Daniel D. F. oKintos

{{gwi:514411}}

Here is a link that might be useful: XLV International Camelias Show 2009

• okintos
    Original Author
    15 years ago

One of the most ancient camellias that remain in the Galician gardens, is to cultivate 'Altheaeflora'. Also we call him, " Blood of Bull ". It is a beautiful flower. It is a flower of big size, 4-5 in (10-12.5 cm.). Half a station. It has a form between anemone and peony. Of red intense colour. In the photographies of 2009 Noia's Exhibition, there are seen the old camellias of the garden of Qintahermosa's Country house. Regards.

{{gwi:514412}}

Here is a link that might be useful: NOIA Camellia Show 7-8/3/2009

• okintos
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Photographies of the Exhibition of Camellias of Soutomaior's Castle.
    Regards.
    Daniel D.F. oKintos

SoutomaiorÂs Castle Camellia Show 2009
    {{gwi:514414}}

SoutomaiorÂs Castle
    {{gwi:514416}}

Camellia S-16 Soutomaior
    {{gwi:505474}}

Camellia japonica S-16
    {{gwi:514418}}

Slide Show Soutomaior's Castle Camellia Show 2009

Here is a link that might be useful: Soutomaior's Castle IX Camellia Show 2009

• okintos
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The tree of the photo, he is one of the exemplary old men of camellia of Galicia. ` ' Anemonaeflora ', it is one of the first camellias that came to West (1806). His Chinese name is " Po Chu Cha " " Precious Camellia pearl ". Some of the first flowers that came from China, they amaze for the advance of the Chinese gardeners. "Alba Plena", " Lady Hume's Blush ", "Anemoaneflora", needed many years of selection, (It Can be that were selected for centuries). In the last two hundred years, there have been obtained thousands of beautiful new varieties of camellias. But these elderly varieties come from China so much time ago, yet today, are flowers that the fans admire. Regards.

Camellia japonica ÂAnemonaeflora Pazo da Golpilleira Vilagarcia de Arousa. Pontevedra. Galicia (Spain)

{{gwi:514420}}

{{gwi:514423}}

{{gwi:514424}}

Here is a link that might be useful: XLV International Camelias Show 2009

• florence_2007
    15 years ago

Again, wonderful pictures. I especially appreciate the way that you display your camellias at a show, so different from ours in the United States where we just place one bloom in a container. They are so spectacular in groups with the grass on the tables.
    Unfortunately, the timer on the screen and slideshow information was covering the caption that you placed on the picture so I was unable to read what you wrote.
    Have you been able to locate 'Adamastor', originating in Portugal?
    Thank you again for your presentation.

• okintos
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Florence, thanks for your words. If You change the mouse for the wings of the screen, it is possible that it eliminates PicasaWeb's picture.

The Camellia "Adamastor", it is a camellia that I do not know. I was often to Portugal and I never saw her. Portugal is at only an hour of local car where I live.

Every year, our society of the Camellia realizes a trip to Portugal to see his magnificent gardens and his wonderful Camellias.

On the 3rd, April 4 and 5, we travel again to Portugal. I will ask my friends (camelliophiles)Portuguese on "Adamastor".

I know that it is a camellia, which turns out to be mentioned in the catalogues of the cultivator Mr. Loureiro Marques. But they are of the 19th century. Many camellias of this epoch are of identification.

The chairwomen of our Society, Carmen Salinero Corral and several members of her team of the S. F. Areeiro, have studied the Portuguese Camellias.

In the magazine International Camellia Journal of the year 2007, there is a work where there are exposed the camellias identified in the Botanical Garden of Porto (Portugal). They identified there, some Portuguese and Belgian camellias of the 19th century.

Next year 2010, in Kurume City (Japan), we will present our candidacy for the celebration of the world Congress of the ICS. It will coincide with the celebration of 50th anniversary of the International Exhibition of the Camellia in Pontevedra.

We wanted to realize it together with the Society of the Camellia of Portugal. But the Portugal Camellia Society does not have support of the authorities of his country.

We, here in Galicia, will realize alone the congress. But we do not want that the fans of the whole world who visit us, could get lost the spectacle of the Camellias of Portugal.

Because of it, we will try to realize the Pre-congress visiting Portugal. We in Galicia, are at only two or three hours of trip in car up to any point of the North of Portugal.

Since nowadays there is no border, no step is realized to begin or to go out between Spain and Portugal. The visitors will have a few wonderful days in Portugal and in Galicia. We speak very little English, but in Portugal many people speak it.
    Regards.
    Daniel D.F. oKintos

{{gwi:514427}}

{{gwi:514429}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Camellias Show in Lérez's Monastery

• okintos
    Original Author
    14 years ago

In the Hemisphere North, already it is not a time of camellias. Always there is some exception. But practically, already it has finished the flowering of the camellias that later they bloom. The Gulf Stream, this one Autumn, Winter and Spring passed, has given us a very good climate for the camellias of Galicia. Always we have a good climate, but this one year was better. The flowerings were magnificent. I spend to you some photographies of flowers of May. In another moment I will spend the photographies of June, with the last flowers of camellia.
    Regards.
    Daniel D.F.oKintos

Camellia japonica ÂAdolphe AudussonÂ
    {{gwi:507884}}

Camellia japonica ÂAugusto Leal de Gouveia PintoÂ
    {{gwi:514431}}

Camellia japonica ÂMathotiana AlbaÂ
    {{gwi:508209}}

{{gwi:514434}}

Camellia japonica ÂKoh-otome Sym.: ÂCrimson MaidenÂ, ÂDoncella CarmesíÂ
    {{gwi:514436}}

Camellia japonica ÂKoh-otome Mut. : ÂWhiteÂ
    {{gwi:514438}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Soutomaior's Castle 2009 Camellia Show

• okintos
    Original Author
    14 years ago

These Camellias of the photos, they are some of the Camellias that finish his flowering, during June.
    Regards.
    Daniel D.F. oKintos

{{gwi:514439}}

{{gwi:514441}}

{{gwi:514442}}
    {{gwi:508212}}

{{gwi:514443}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Camellia Show in rural College

• longriver
    14 years ago

Signore oKintos: Hi! It seems that camellia blooms early in Spain. If I stop by Spain in Nov. Would I see camellias blooming there?

Thanks, my 'Humilis' is taking. Is yours taking the graft?

• okintos
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi John. I am happy, that is rather the "Humilis" I sent you. My luck is different. Just going through one of camellia cuttings that I received your mail. I hope someday send a photo. I'm glad. Yesterday I saw, it "Humilis" photos, in a house near where I live. C.j. "Humilis", flowering begins in March, and bloom until early June ..
    Regards.
    Daniel

{{gwi:514444}}

{{gwi:514446}}

{{gwi:514447}}

Here is a link that might be useful: XLVI International Camellia Show (Slideshow)

• okintos
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Flowers Camellia in May

April and May are the months when the camellias "Mathotiana Alba" has full bloom. They are also the months in which bloom two of the most known mutations of this ancient variety. "Mathotiana Rosea" and "Souvenir de Bauhaud-Litou. The delicate color, light pink, from" Souvenir de Bauhaud-Litou "is very difficult to get in the pictures. I hope someday to make a good photograph, which shows perfectly the delicate colors of this mutation "Mathotiana Alba.".
    Regards
    Daniel Domínguez Fernandez oKintos
    {{gwi:514448}}
    Camellia japonica ÂMathotiana RoseaÂ
    {{gwi:514450}}
    {{gwi:514451}}

Camellia japonica ÂSouvenir de Bauhaud-LitouÂ
    {{gwi:514452}}
    {{gwi:514453}}

The ancient Camellias in the Garden of "Pazo de Quintahermosa"
    {{gwi:514454}}

Here is a link that might be useful: International Camellia Congress 2014

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

What a pleasure it was to find your photographs of camellias. Thank you for taking the time to post them here for all of us to enjoy.
    Renee

• okintos
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It is time camellia flowers. My first flower of the 2010-2011 season was a flower of Camellia sinensis. But it was the first flower of a plant grown from seed. I could not take a picture. At the end of September began to flourish my 'Yuletide', Camellia flourished after saluenensis. In early October flourished 'Daikagura.
    Greetings and happy season camellias.
    Daniel D.F. oKintos

Camellia saluenensis
    {{gwi:514457}}

Camellia X vernalis âÂÂYuletideâÂÂ

Camellia japonica âÂÂDaikaguraâÂÂ

Here is a link that might be useful: 2014 International Camellia Congress

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Thanks again, Daniel. Your photographs and links are informative and delightful. I am convinced now that I need some camellias. In my area, I believe Nuccio's Gem will do very well.
    Renee

• okintos
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for your comment. I think 'Nuccio's Gem' is a great camellia. I want 'Nuccio's Gem', live well in your city. If this camellia grows and flourishes, other varieties of camellia will live very well. In the place where I live, the white camellia japonica lineage, are flourishing. 'Alba Plena', 'Alba Simplex', 'Anemonaeflora Alba', 'Lady Amelia Hume's Blush''.............

In the link I have attached pictures of other camellias, especially 'Camellia sasanqua', who are already blooming since October.
    Regards.
    Daniel Dominguez Fernandez oKintos

Camellia japonica âÂÂNuccioâÂÂs GemâÂÂ
    {{gwi:514464}}

Camellia japonica âÂÂAlba PlenaâÂÂ
    {{gwi:514468}}

Camellia japonica âÂÂLady HumeâÂÂs Blushâ Symn.:âÂÂCamurçaâÂÂ
    {{gwi:514471}}

OPTIONAL Link URL:
    VISIT TO "Pazo Quinteiro da Cruz"

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden and Camellias. Pazo Quinteiro da Cruz

• florence_2007
    13 years ago

Once again Daniel, such beautiful pictures. Thank you

• okintos
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It is also the time of fragrant camellias. During the fall bloom fragrant camellias. In addition to the varieties of 'Camellia sasanqua, also hybrids of other camellias bloom in the fall. And in December we will have our first show of the season Camelia. In the enclosed link get photographs of the Exposition, December 2009.
    Greetings.
    Daniel Domínguez Fernandez oKintos

C.rusticana X C.lutchuensis 'Fragrant Pink'
    {{gwi:514475}}

Camellia sasanqua âÂÂSetsugekkaâÂÂ
    {{gwi:514477}}

Camellia sasanqua 'Bonanza'
    {{gwi:514479}}

Camellia sasanqua 'Chojiguruma'
    {{gwi:514481}}

Camellia sasanqua 'Fuji-No-Mine'
    {{gwi:514483}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Camellia Exhibition of Boiro. December 2009

• okintos
    Original Author
    13 years ago

In the month of December, are in bloom, many species of camellia. Some are very difficult to see, except in exhibitions of camellia flowers, when the show to us amateurs. This is the case of some camellias that we saw at the Exhibition of "Camellia sasanqua" in the city of Boiro. Was held during the 11th and 12th December. Show here, the link attached to the pictures in the exhibition.
    Regards.
    Daniel Dom�nguez Fernandez oKintos
    {{gwi:514485}}

{{gwi:514487}}

{{gwi:514489}}

{{gwi:514491}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Camellia Exhibition of Boiro. December 2010

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner
More Discussions