Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what is a good companion plant for camellias?

Posted by orangic_pixiedust southern california (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 19, 06 at 19:46

i'm a newbie and would love your advice!

I have two medium sized camellia bushes (5' tall and 5' wide) in front of my house which bloom fuschia pink flowers. they are about 12 feet apart. between the camellias is a very sad plot of dirt. this dirt plot lands beneath my windows.

what plants would you recommend that i plant between the camellia bushes? i'm totally new at this and don't know what would look good. i was think gardenias, but i don't know if it's going to look too bush-heavy between the camellias. maybe calla lillies?

anything everygreen or with white flowers would be great! and it's a spanish house, if that helps.

i live in zone 20 according to the sunset western book.

thank you!!!!!!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what is a good companion plant for camellias?

In our region (the Gulf Coast) one of the best companions is hydrangea. They are not evergreen, but they combine well with camellias because they bloom almost the opposite time of year, each complementing the other. And just when autumn arrives the hydrangeas shed their leaves, retreating from the garden stage as the camellias begin to show off their winter wares.

There are many other companions that do well, but we have come to like this combination.

o

thank you for the suggestion! i love hydrangeas!

o

It's nice to use something that is deciduous, I think! At the very least, you should come up with something with a different form, leaf size, etc.

o

I have late spring blooming gardenias and deciduous azaleas (Dodd's confederate series) around mine.

o

I use most of the ones already mentioned, Hdyrangeas and Aaleas but in some areas I also have ferns. One thing that has worked well in an area that used to be long bare spot between two large Camelias is a large, row/clump of Autumn Ferns toward the rear with several Hydrangeas in front. The scene changes dramatically through out the year. Mature Azaleas and Camelias complement each other, the leaf texture and size are different.

o

What about impatiens? That's what I have growing at the base of my camellias. It's a pretty sight right now with all of them blooming simeltaneously.

o

Even we all are in US but California is different in climate. Ca has dry season from about May to October. The ground in summer time is bone dry unless your camellia area and the area for companion plants are all equally to water properly. If your water system is geared to water more to camellia and possibly less water at surounding larger area, the other plants will send sucker roots to tangle your camellia root.

In humid part of US and in southern China, most plants( from weeds to forest timbers) and camellia can grow side by side without any problem of root interference.

o

I have a few suggestions:
Pittisporum (Dwarf Variegated)
Gardinia jasminoides 'Frostproof' short and fragrant
Colocasia 'Purple Stem' red stemed small Elephant Ears
San Gabriel Nandina for fall color
And then add a few annuals for color

Here is a link that might be useful: GardenWeb

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here