Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seeking camellia guru

Posted by iDixieRose z8b Coastal SC (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 26, 04 at 20:00

I'd like to talk with someone who is very experienced with camellias and who makes house calls. Send me an email and we can discuss.

Here's my situation: A number of our camellias appear to be in decline and I'm having trouble figuring out what the problem is. Most of the bushes appear to be 20+ years old.
Some of the bushes appear to be healthy, however I don't see much new growth. Some of the newer camellias have hardly grown at all in the past 5 years. It's very frustrating to me tending these camellias and not making progress.

I've been watching these bushes for the past 5 years. I've had the soil tested several times. The pH is within the correct range for camellias. The bushes are watered and fed. I've thinned out the centers, added peat to the soil, sprayed for scale control, etc.

A few years ago, a friend who has grown camellias for more than 30 years visited my garden and he seemed to think our camellia growing situation was OK. Still, it bothers me to see so many of our camellias not growing or in decline.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seeking camellia guru

On those old bushes, they are most likely at their full growth. You will see little or no growth from year to year. As they lose leaves, they begin to look worse and worse. The usual way to take care of this (if this IS the problem) is to severly prune the bush.

Now about the newer ones. They may be a slow growing variety like the Pink Perfection. You might see only an inch or two a year. Or the root ball may have been in bad shape when they were planted. It's hard to say.

Your best bet would be to get someone in the area to take a look at them. Is there a Camellia Society near you? I am sure they would have someone that could help.

Good luck!!
PB

o
RE: Seeking camellia guru

Try contacting the American Camellia Society to find someone who is active in one of the South Carolina societies. An email address for the ACS horticulturist is culture@camellias-acs.com. The web site also lists email addresses and contacts for some of the local camellia societies.

Here is a link that might be useful: American Camellia Society

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here