Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandl_gw

Need picture of full camelia bush

SandL
19 years ago

I know this sounds silly, but could someone post me a picture of their full camelia bush? I have no idea how big these bushes get.

Also, what would be a good camelia bush to plant in a full shade area? I'm thinking of anything with pink blossoms. I have a large bed that I could plant it in. The bed presently is home to several bearded iris and a holly bush, both of which are doing great. I need plant names.

I've been thinking of planting hostas in this area too, but also wanted to plant something that flowered like a rose. Camelias seem to fit that bill.

Thanks!!

Heather

Comments (11)

• PeaBee4
    19 years ago

I'll post a picture on the Gallery to give you an idea.
    PB

• surftele
    19 years ago

HI,
    I am new to GardenWeb and just discovered the Camellia site. (Usually hang out in the tractor section) Anyway, I have 70, well, maybe 50 Cam. since Ivan came but I would love to post pics. I uploaded some to HP's site but can't get them here. Can you/someone help?

Thanks,
    Vic

• jenny_in_se_pa
    19 years ago

This is the one at my sister's house, which was there when she moved in and is probably about 40 - 50 years old:

{{gwi:503920}}

Closer view:
    {{gwi:514841}}

The flowers:
    {{gwi:503921}}

The fence is 6ft.

They are slow growers so it obviously took decades to get this size but it is gorgeous. We had no idea what it was when she first looked at the house in the spring before she moved in because the flowers were huge doubles and we just haven't seen anything like this planted up here, at least in any obvious spot. I had to go to the Name That Plant forum to ID what the heck it was! LOL

And this one is a spring bloomer, unlike the hardier types that tend to bloom in the fall. But now that the climate has changed over the past 20 years or so, we're seeing more crape myrtles and other more commonly "southern" plants here. She lives in Delaware County, PA which was listed as Zone 7 back in the 1990 update of the hardiness zones. The leaves have gotten some tip damage the past couple years, but this thing has seen much colder winters than the last few (although perhaps the previous owner protected it in those instances, plus it was backing up against that neighbor's garage before my sister and her DH put the fence up).

• SandL
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you everyone for posting. Jenny and PeaB, your pictures were awesome! and gave me a great idea as to whether or not I could plant this bush in my bed. I think I can!
    These are the names of the camelia's I'm considering on planting - though I can only pick one.

Nuccio's Pearl
    Pink Perfection
    Debutante
    Moonlight Bay
    April Dawn
    Taylor's Dawn

Heather

• PeaBee4
    19 years ago

I don't think you would go wrong with a Pink Perfection. It is my favorite.

However, It is very slow growing. So unless you are able to get a good sized one, you will have a long time to look at a little bush. It makes a compact, well shaped bush.

I have a couple of Debutants. I'm not really fond of that type bloom but I'll admit, they do make a nice show. Faster growing than the Pink Perfection. Darker pink. Looser, more open shaped bush.
    PB

• phytomaniac
    19 years ago

jenny in PA How do you get your pictures to show up with your message?

• jenny_in_se_pa
    19 years ago

phytomaniac - a couple of the GW forums have FAQs for how to post a picture. You can check out the one here from the Hot Pepper Forum.

Hope this helps and good luck!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    19 years ago

Jenny, do you know what variety that one is? It is beautiful! That's my favorite flower color.

• jenny_in_se_pa
    19 years ago

I was trying to get it ID'd and the closest I could find was that it may be one of the "Ice Follies" series - ie., Ice Follies 'Ice Angels' (Camellia williamsii x oleifera 'Ice Follies').

However this shrub now tree has apparently been there for a long time in order to be that large and the former home owner was supposedly an elderly Horticulturalist and it wouldn't surprise me that it might be an early cross that eventually became 'Ice Follies'.

This past spring, that thing was loaded down with flowers. It was incredible. And we had a colder than normal winter too but it produced like crazy. Maybe because my sister has been giving it some TLC, plus it's getting more sun now since she limbed up some trees and removed 2 huge Holly trees that were not far away from it. The house had been unoccupied for some time before she bought it and the garden had been let to go... She said that it is covered in buds now.

• doudou
    19 years ago

Jenny, thank you so much for providing the link to the instructions of posting pictures. Helps a lot!
    Karen

• byrd4966_bellsouth_net
    13 years ago

Buds stayed on all last summer and are still on but look well but did not open do I cut them off are will they fall off by themself as springs comes on this is going into the second year was hopeing they would bloom but buds never open now what

Sponsored
More Discussions