Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Frost Princess Just Not Growing?

Posted by oath5 z6b/7a MD (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 7, 09 at 21:07

I planted a Frost Princess camellia in a really protected spot fall of 07. I'm not sure it's gotten much bigger since then. It's flowered a bit and I think this year it has three or so buds but I'm just shocked at how slow it's growing. Does this cultivar just take a little while? I'm sure the place is fine as I also have a "April Tryst" nearby and it does fine in the same bed. Is there anything I can do to boost growth next year? I really don't do much to it other than water when its really dry and give it acidic fertilizer. I'm just curious, I have quite a green thumb and this little plant baffles me.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Max

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Frost Princess Just Not Growing?

Many camellias grow very slowly. That is the reason for the high cost when you buy espaliered ones or very tall ones. I may notice just a few inches of growth a year. Others grow faster than that but even then, I am not talking like roses do. Below is a link to an article on fertilizing camellias with a suggested fertilizing plan.

Here is a link that might be useful: Camellia Fertilization Article by the ACS

o

Hi Max,
I grow a lot of the Cold Hardy varieties even though I don't live in an area as cold as yours. I have noticed a huge range of growth habits and rates among the different varieties, so it is possible that there is nothing wrong with your 'Frost Princess'. If the color of the foliage is dark green and the plant appears to be healthy, I would not be too concerned. It would be nice to hear from someone that has actually grown 'Frost Princess' and could tell us if there are problems associated with this variety.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cold Hardy Suggestion from Dr. Ackeman

o

In zone 6 and 7, it's better to fertilize lightly one time in spring only. Slow growth is better than growth that gets frozen back. Small camellias will grow faster after about 3 years in the ground while 2 and 3 gallon plants establish in a year or two.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here