Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
(B)Camellia Society for Potomac Valley November 9th Meeting

Posted by dave_in_nova VA zone 7a (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 31, 08 at 21:38

The Sunday, November 9th Meeting of the CSPV will be held at the U.S. NATIONAL ARBORETUM at 2 PM, with Social hour starting at 1:30 PM.

Bill Miller will take orders for Microfoam and give a brief demo on how to use it.

Randy Kobetich will give a brief report of his activities concerning the formation of a Camellia Society in Delaware.

Dan Turner, our member from Highland, MD, who owns a large Holly Nursery, which includes many camellias and other plants, will give a slide talk on "Hollies and Other Companion Plants for Camellias," at this November meeting.

Camellia Society and Membership Information

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: (B)Camellia Society for Potomac Valley November 9th Meeting

I used to travel to DC and Virginia areas often. Nice to know you have an active camellia society. I am working on some cold hardy new camellias. Yet my area does not have real cold winter.

When my seedlings are ready, I hope any someone in your society is interested to grow 'possible' cold hardy new cultivars.

o

longriver,

Well, you can sure send me some seedlings to trial! I'm in zone 7a, just outside Washington, DC. I have a large backyard with some shade, some sun. There's always room for more!

o

Hope you don't mind my jumping on this thread. I'm researching John Jacob Frobel from Fairfax County, VA. I found a reference that he provided a camellia japonica seed to a Dr. Gunnell that is listed in an 1840's horticultural magazine. The camellia was named 'Judge Washington' or 'Judge Bushrod Washington' after the nephew of George Washington.

If you have any information on the gardens/plants of Frobel who owned Wilton Hill on Franconia Road in Alexandria, VA , I'd love to know. He was the great-great-grandfather of my husband.

Thanks,
Cameron

Here is a link that might be useful: Where Have All the Frobel Flowers Gone?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here