Setsugekka

{{gwi:514896}}

{{gwi:514898}}

Pink Tea(rosea)

{{gwi:514900}}

Comments (15)

• luis_pr
    14 years ago

Very nice, tnangela. And thanks a LOT for posting. I was wondering if anyone had blooms. Last weekend, I checked the camellias in my garden for blooms but found none. All had buds but they did not look 'ready' yet. Grumble, grumble, grumble.... need more and earlier blooming sasanquas...

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    14 years ago

thanks so much for posting! These are beautiful. we need to know where you live.

So far the following of mine are starting to bloom:

Winter's Fire
    Ashton's Ballet
    Winter's Joy
    Spring's Promise
    No ID White sasanqua

I'm in Northern VA, Fairfax county.

• tnangela
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks y'all. I live in Tennessee, zone 6b/7a. As you can see, I tend to gravitate towards singles. The other half of my camellias are feb/mar bloomers. Here's two more in bloom.

Survivor (surprisingly fragrant!)
    {{gwi:514901}}

Fairweather Favorite (which ranks as one of my favorites, along with Gay Baby...both cluster flowered)
    {{gwi:514904}}

• Donna
    14 years ago

Lovely! Other than Yuletide, does anyone know of any truly red Sasanquas? The pinks are beautiful, but somehow I want more vivid color this time of year.

• steve_nj
    14 years ago

Sparkling burgundy is deep pink, vigorous, and flowers early.

• spartacuslives
    14 years ago

Another red Sasanqua besides Yuletide is Midnight Lover. It is not as well known, but it has beautiful flowers.

{{gwi:514907}}

• tnangela
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That is very pretty. I like it. I wonder if it has any cold resistance?

I wanted to bring up an observation. Fairweather Favorite seems to have inherited both fall and spring bloom tendencies (from the oleifera and japonica) and would perhaps be continuous blooming (Oct-Mar) if it were warmer here. This can make for some interesting hybrids especially if one were looking for to breed continuous blooming camellias... but at the very least this characteristic makes it useful to give a shot of cold resistance to the sasanquas.

For what it's worth, I have what I believe to be a 'Survivor x Fairweather Favorite' seedling from this year.
    (Sasanqua x Oleifera) x (Japonica x Oleifera)
    {{gwi:514910}}
    If nothing else I bet it will be cold hardy.

• spartacuslives
    14 years ago

'Midnight Lover' is cold hardy to Zone 7A

• Donna
    14 years ago

And it is very lovely! I will be on the lookout for it. Thank you!

• jamesmaloy
    14 years ago

Thanks for posting Tn angela . Photos are great. I have two marthas, northern lights and Our lisa blooming now I am in north Florida. My yuletide is not gonna bloom this year I think I fertilized to late. I also have an early flower on Betty Sheffield Supreme.
    James

• luis_pr
    14 years ago

James, do you have any pictures?

14 years ago

Tn Angela, you need to get a Spring's Promise. It has the potential to bloom ALL winter.

14 years ago

By the way, how has Hana Jiman done for you? I am considering getting this one. Pretty hardy?

• tnangela
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I've had Hana Jima for maybe seven or eight years. She has never displayed any freeze damage for me whatsoever and seems to be a reliable performer.

I had severe freeze damage on 'Crimson Candles' from this last winter, but it has survived.

{{gwi:514913}}

• tamararly
    14 years ago

Tnangela, I like your 'Fairweather Favorite' very much! Where did you become it from?
    And your seedling is also very interesting. I hope you'll get an exceptional nice flower on it!

Your photo from frost damage is for many of us very useful!
    Thank you for sharing!!

Best greetings
    tamararly

Sponsored
Franklin County's Remodeling & Handyman Services
More Discussions