Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Zn 11 Panama Looking for Others

Posted by panamahat 11 Panama (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 25, 05 at 22:39

Hello --
Have been reading the posts hoping to find anyone in Panama who's growing Camellias. I was told Panama is not a camellia area but a neighbor here has quite a large plant which appears to be a Sasanqua. Hers is red and she reports that a similar "white" plant is also available. Haven't seen it yet. We're in the mountains near Costa Rica, have a year-round Springlike climate, and, even with the quantity of rain we receive, there is excellent drainage. Everything grows here, from apple trees and pines to gardenias, Spanish moss and, of course orchids, so am hoping even if Camellias have not been widely grown in the past, they may be in the future. Am looking for any information at all on propagating Camellias here as well as any other folks who may have experience in Zone 11.
Many thanks!
Panama Hat

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Zn 11 Panama Looking for Others

Hello PH, and welcome to the Forum.

I don't find it surprising that camellias will grow well in your location as outlined by your friend. I suspect that you don't REALLY have zone 11 conditions, due to being up in the mountains, although you are physically IN that zone. In your case, it isn't so much a matter of LATITUDE as it is ALTITUDE, with your height above sea level providing a more moderate clime than those nearer sealevel on the isthmus have.

I would expect just about any variety of camellia you can find to grow well, and while they can be ordered and shipped, doing so internationally can sometimes cause problems. You might try contacting some of the larger nurseries or plant importers for leads on locating specimens, since obviously from your neighbor, some varieties ARE available.

As to propagation, my favorite method is by far air layering. When done properly, I find it to have a near 100% success rate and you end up with a nice sized plant in just a year or so. One of the better written sets of instructions I have seen on the web is at the link below, and this is essentially the method I have been using for over 10 years now.

Keep an eye out for camellias in people's yards when you are out and about, and if you see one, request permission to do an air layer or 2. I have found that most people are quite willing to allow you to do so, especially if you offer to do a couple for them too. You may have to explain what you are talking about, but it is worth the effort.

I wish you the best of luck, and please keep us informed of your progress.

Regards.

Bill.

Here is a link that might be useful: Air Layering Camellias

o
RE: Zn 11 Panama Looking for Others

Hello

If you are in Chiriqui, it's a good place for Camellias.
Sorry I'm french and don't speak english

Ten years ago I had a house in Los Santos.

Amitis. Nepeta

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here