Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to germinate Camellia seeds

Posted by scross4 z6 NJ (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 25, 04 at 23:17

I just visited Elk Rock in Portland and I was able to pick up a few camellia seeds from one of their 12 foot tall plants. I was wondering how I could go about germinating the seeds.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to germinate Camellia seeds

Attached is a good link about camellia propagation. Seed discussion follows the cutting explanation.

Here is a link that might be useful: Camellia propagation

o

A simple way is to keep the seeds in ziplock bag with a small pieces of clean moisted polyeaster fabric in refrigerator for storage. Prepare a soil mix, half& half of ground Peat and pertile. Plant the seeds indoor in a 1 or 2 gal plastic container about a month before warmer weather. just water it properly. move the pot outdoor later in a sheltered area with about 50 % filtered sunlight.

o

There is also a more elaborated way to germinate camellia seeds. Because all my control cross camellia seeds are valuable to me. It was produced with lots of effort and planning. I have to worry about many factors which may cause a set back in seed germination process. They are media mix, fertilizer, root rot, moldy, pest, too dry or too wet, growth light, right or uneven temperature and early to germinate or waiting for about 4 months etc. All may affect the out come of seedling formation or loosing some valuable seeds.

I have about 280 control cross seeds in germination process now this year. Some are over 2 inches tall already. They are clean and healthy in an enclosed unit.

I have tried an innovative way to germinate camellia seeds for two years in a large empty fish tank. With "some preparation", the result is better than I thought.I just want share with you the new ideas. However please do not check on me yet what I am doing. I am still evaluate and improve my methodology to carry it out in a general househood condition.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here