Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
longriver_gw

' Red Lantern'

longriver
13 years ago

This medium to large red new flower was developed from a cold hardy mother camellia plant. The nickname is ' Red Lantern '

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:515160}}

Comments (7)

• okintos
    13 years ago

Hello Jhon. We call these camellias, "Campaniforme" Bell-shaped flower pendant. They are not very common. So eye-catcher. "Red Lantern" is beautiful and the petals placed in a very regular basis. The camellias that we see here with this form of flower are "Kujaku" and "Hakujan Kujakuâ (Peacock camellia).
    Regards.
    Daniel D.F. oKintos

Camellia japonica âÂÂKujakuâÂÂ
    {{gwi:515166}}

Camellia japonica âÂÂHakujan KujakuâÂÂ
    {{gwi:515170}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Visit Pazo Quinteiro da Cruz Garden

• luis_pr
    13 years ago

Hard to see the inside of the blooms if the blooms grow below half my height (as would be the case on a new/small shrub). They are probably best enjoyed on a tall plant or on a potted shrub (where the pot is placed high above the ground) so you can see the blooms "from below".

• okintos
    13 years ago

Many camellias, especially some varieties from âÂÂCamellia japonicaâÂÂ, have a growth toward the floor. The branches develop in a suspension (pendulum). For example, Camellia japonica "Alba simplex.
    Greetings.
    Daniel Dominguez Fernández oKintos

{{gwi:515172}}

{{gwi:515174}}

• luis_pr
    13 years ago

In Daniel's example of tall downwards facing blooms, the plant has been pruned such that the plant has no low growth at all; the downwards facing blooms or the campaniforme blooms are probably best enjoyed this way. Nice picture by the way! How old would that specimen be Daniel?

• okintos
    13 years ago

Hi Luis. Some camellias are growing branches that makes hanging to the ground. Whether they are pruned by the bottom.
    This is the case of the camellia "Alba simplex" or "Lady Amelia Hume's Blush". In other camellias the weight of the flowers, causing them to hang their branches toward the ground.
    This is the case of some "Camellia reticulata" or camellias hybride with large flowers.

I like to identify old camellias. And the flowers, leaves and the flowering season, sometimes you have to see how their growth. As in the case of the Camellias "Prof. Charles S. Sargent, "Arcozelo" or "Oranda Ko." They grow in a completely vertical.
    I put some pictures as an example.
    Regards.
    Daniel Dominguez Fernandez oKintos

{{gwi:515176}}

{{gwi:515178}}

{{gwi:515179}}

{{gwi:515180}}

• luis_pr
    13 years ago

Most of the specimens around here are not old enough to that yet. But I used to live further south and your comment of branches arching down due to the weight of blooms reminded me of a mango tree whose lower branches would also touch the ground due to the weight of the fruit!

• longriver
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The main purpose for this new flower is "toward" Cold hardy camellia of show flower quality. This is merely a bridge plant of F1. I am working many F1 and further to F2. I like to give a nickname to my selected seedling flowers ( not by # or ABC---). Hopefully I shall select a few nice flowers. Then long term field tests will be followed. A very time consuming process.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County
More Discussions